or
Create an account

or

Thread I want to learn guitar and have no more than $200, which guitar should I get?

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 I want to learn guitar and have no more than $200, which guitar should I get?
200 is the absolute max. I'm currently looking into the Ibanez Gio GRG20Z for $129.99, but does it really matter? Is it a bad guitar? Anyone please help....
Even if you can't tell how bad a starter guitar is when you're learning, you'll hear it within a year. That's why I would recommend at least going one step above the cheapest of the cheap.

An Ibanez gio is dogshit. A cheap Ibanez RG, even used, is lightyears ahead in terms of tone quality. You can find some at guitar center used for less than $200.

Years ago when I first started playing guitar, squier were just being introduced, but sounded atrocious. So I went one step above. At the time, that meant I chose a mexican made standard telecaster (MSRP: $499, list price was around $349). Nearly 9 years later, it still sounds amazing and I love everything about it. Guarantee you that wouldn't happen if I chose the squier. So I would do one of 2 things, either save up until you can afford a guitar that's one step up, or buy such a guitar used for less than $200, but do NOT choose the cheapest available if it's one you plan on playing (and enjoying playing) for more than a year
When buying a guitar to start out on, two important considerations are whether its action is low enough and its intonation is accurate. In other words, the strings shouldn't be uncomfortably high above the frets, and it should play in tune all over the neck. Otherwise, it won't be enjoyable to play and will hinder your enthusiasm for practicing and learning. I'm not familiar with the Ibanez model mentioned, but I concur with lethalweapon that if you can manage it, it's better to buy a higher quality instrument--so you won't outgrow it too quickly. If you have a friend who's knowledgable about guitars, and will help you shop for one, you might be able to find a better quality used guitar from a private seller without spending much more. If you do buy the Ibanez, make sure the store will give it a proper setup. Good luck!