DiMarzio DP151 PAF Pro
DiMarzio DP151 PAF Pro
RiceEatin2010GT RiceEatin2010GT

« Came stock in my Fender »

Published on 10/21/12 at 13:21
The PAF Pro was actually one of the original pickups that DiMarzio made, and it’s one of those that really started to catch on during the whole 80s rack scene. I remember everyone running these pickups back in the day - Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and the list just keeps on going. A lot of OEM manufacturers actually started putting this pickup in their guitars too. This came stock in lots of Ibanez guitars, and it even came stock in my one Fender stratocaster. The output is enough in that it’ll work in either the neck or the bridge. In the bridge, it matches great with single coils and other medium output neck pickups. It’s fairly open sounding with some slight bite on the top end. In the neck, you get one of the famous neck tones of the 80s. It’s clear and bright without sounding too trebly or thin. It’s also quite dynamic, which is something a lot of people had issues with when they started running a lot of rack gear back then. However, the pickup seems to be a bit dated today. While I still really enjoy this pickup, I recently sold off my last one because it’s just not what I’m looking for these days. I’m starting to prefer more modern sounding pickups as of late, and so I decided to part ways with this. That said, if you’re looking for one of the most versatile pickups ever made, this could suit you. It all depends on what kind of tone you’re aiming for. Today’s DiMarzios come with four conductor wiring, so if you want to experiment with different wiring setups, this would probably be the perfect pickup to do so. It seems to work in anything you throw at it and work in any configuration you wire it in.