Marshall 8240 ValveState S80 Stereo Chorus
Marshall 8240 ValveState S80 Stereo Chorus

8240 ValveState S80 Stereo Chorus, Hybrid Combo Guitar Amp from Marshall in the ValveState I series.

onelittlejog 08/25/2013

Marshall 8240 ValveState S80 Stereo Chorus : onelittlejog's user review

« It was okay to start out with. »

Not much to add (solid-state, pseudo hybrid ....clean channel 100% solid-state, OD channel with a marshall 12Ax7 tube).
It's a pity it doesn't feature a headphone out or a speaker out to connect it to external cabs, with hindsight I would've really appreciated it. For the rest, it's really comprehensive and versatile.

USE

I used it live and for rehearsals from 1995 until 2006 (when I switched to a Jcm 900 MK III 2100 model...read my review).
Since 2006 I use it for my home studio or to do other jobs.
I've played with alternative, pop, rock, and metal bands...and it has always fit well.
It sounds all right at low volumes, especially the OD channel.
I used it again several years ago for a gig in a small venue...and it was catastrophic!! I'll never do it again!

SOUND

As soon as you crank it up a bit, it turns shrill and lacks warmth...a 5-watt tube amp sounds better.
It doesn't make me feel anything ever since I've been playing tubes...
Back in the day, tube amps were inaccessible, they were really expensive, that's why I chose it...there were not many options!!

It's okay to start out with and not go broke, but you'll quickly need to move on to something else. Avoid using it for gigs, unless you play at low volumes and are amplified via the PA.
Go for a tube amp as soon as you can.

+ Connections
+ Reverb
+ Nice speaker
+ OD channel

- Solid-state sound
- Sound is degraded at high volumes
- Weight