or
Create an account

or
1 Just sold my high-end Marshall valve amp to buy a Line 6...am I on crack? Have you done this?
Just wondering if I'm the only crazy bastard who got rid of high-end expensive gear in favor of cheaper, supposedly worse gear?

I've owned tons of awesome valve amps over time including a Messa Boogie, handwired Marshall clone, multiple Oranges, and just sold my Marshall 30th Anniversary 6101 combo (originally about $2000). It had 3 channels, 25w/50w/100w output, Celestion gold 200W speaker, balanced DI out, FX loop, input compensation, speaker damping, MIDI, and a whole bunch of other stuff most users have no idea about.

The problem? It was so expensive, and I'm not the wealthiest dude, so the constant worry of something blowing up and costing an arm and a leg was piling up, so I've been thinking of selling it. But that doesn't explain the Line 6...

I went into guitar center yesterday and they had a beat up Line 6 Flextone II that cost under $150. I can honestly say after testing it that the sound was fat, smooth and in your face, and truly sounded just as refined as my Marshall. I didn't hear any transistor fizzyness and it responded nicely to small changes to the guitar's tone.

ABOVE ALL I would like to know if anyone on AF ever downgraded, and if you had any regrets? In my particular case, I traded in my marshall for the flextone and almost 500 bucks in store credit. If my Line 6 sounds as good as it did that day (when it was already used) then I think I'm gonna be completely happy! If after a week, I start hearing nonstop fizz, you might see my name in the obituary...
Your story is certainly an uncommon one, but if you're happy with the sound you're getting, then it was a good move. May the fizz NOT be with you.:lol:
I've never tried the Flextone II, but I can at least say that, while Line 6 are the kings of modeling amps, that doesn't mean they are jokes when it comes to sound. What I REALLY want to know is how those AmpliFI amps sound! I like the concept of a community customizing every tone from their favorite songs so they're easily attainable, but at the same time, if most musicians are like me then they'll be WAY too lazy to actually customize every tone :oo:

Anyway not trying to hijack your post, I admire your downgrading at the very least
Dude, if it the sound floats your boat, you made a great choice. I have an absolutely amazing sounding 70s vintage combo, one of the best sounding tube amps I've ever tested. Utterly and amazingly useless to me right now. Its monstrous, extremly heavy, and wayyyyyy too loud to use just about anywhere except mile high stadium :furieux:

I tend to rehearse and practice through my Roland Mini-Cube or straight to my mac with amplitube
Quote:
I have an absolutely amazing sounding 70s vintage combo, one of the best sounding tube amps I've ever tested.

What was your 70s combo?
'75 SoundCity Concord. Freaking enormous (looks like a nuclear power plant), but when you crank it all the way it makes your ears bleed while crying tears of joy. I mean the controls go up to 12. That's one more than 11! :bravo:

Here she is: YVSnt.jpg
why hello there ;)

wish I could test it out, send it over I promise I'll give it back
Wow, that's some amp! I think you could invade a foreign country with it.:mdr: Seriously, I understand your situation, as I also have a very heavy amp. It's a reissue blackface Fender Twin, and it weighs a ton — probably not as much as your amp, but still a lot. It sounds great, though, so I bring it to my gigs. I don't want to schlepp it to rehearsals, however. For that, I got a small Orange (solid-state) practice amp that's light as a feather.
Quote from Mike:
I don't want to schlepp it to rehearsals, however. For that, I got a small Orange (solid-state) practice amp that's light as a feather.

I love messing with my buddy's Tiny Terror, the quality tone that it packs in such a small package is mind-boggling.

Having said that, I'm not gonna lie fightlikeabrave, but your amp terrifies me!