Native Instruments Maschine MKI
Native Instruments Maschine MKI

Loop Sequencer from Native Instruments belonging to the Maschine series.

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 03/14/09 à 03:16
(Originally written by Thingummy tetchy/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
I've been owning it for two days. It's the tool I had been waiting for a long time. I started writing music with machines and then switched to a PC so this hardware/software bundle wonderfully combines both worlds. It combines the ease of hardware programming (without sub-menus like on a RM1X or a MPC) with the convenience of an HDD packed with a huge sample bank.

- The hardware is conceived so you don't have to search in endless menus and sub-menus.

High-quality controller (sturdy and accurate encoders, pads on the same quality as a MPC), light and compact. This controller allows you to forget about the mouse but it can be convenient to use both.

- The software is quite good, it provides enough sound banks, effects and sampling functions (although editing possibilities aren't as good as with Battery, Absynth, and other virtual drum machines and synths with a huge number of parameters).

As a summary, this bundle offers the same possibilities as a system combining an RM1X, an MPC and a PC.

I work with a 2.1 GHz Macbook with 2 GB Ram and Mac OS 10.5.6. I didn't have any problems installing the software (it took 30 minutes, registration included) and the latency I get is between 7 and 8 seconds (with shorter latency times you can hear some noise).

I'm fully satisfied with this hardware/software bundle and I think it's a good solution (once again, it's my personal opinion and other people will prefer other controllers and software tools). You'll need other synths if you want more possibilities.

PS: I give it an 8 because nothing is perfect and the grade depends on the user's expectations.