PRS Singlecut
PRS Singlecut
MGR/Mike A. MGR/Mike A.

« Paul Reed Smith Singlecut »

Published on 04/15/08 at 15:00
I have been playing guitar for 13 years. I play blues rock, alternative, and worship music. My major influences range from Buddy Guy, and SRV, to TOOL. I am beginning to get into jazz too.

I found two of these for sale at Mammoth Music here in Anchorage, Alaska. I chose the wrap around tobacco burst with the adjustable tailpiece, essential since I play with 11s and these come set up for 9s. I was actually in the market for a Les Paul again. I just couldn't find one for less than 3,800.00 that sounded good in all pickup positions and all the way up the neck. So I entered the PRS room and started messing around with a Santana 3 through a Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special This guitar was pretty sweet and I almost bought it untill I plugged in the Singlecut. WOW! Tone to die for everywhere. It listed for 3,480.00 I walked out with it for 2,449.00.

The incredible quality. This guitar oozes class. The woods are stunning and it looks like it was dipped in glass. Then there is this butter smooth tone that was more than what my ears were looking for. I would not recommend these pickups to a shredder buy the Tremonti if that's your thing. These pickups are full articulate and smooth but not at all muddy. I play through a Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker combo and practice through an Epiphone Valve Jr. Both of these amps have inherently dark personalities but this guitar still cuts through them.

The fact that it comes set up with 9s. Does anybody actually play with strings that light? Most Gibson's I've bought at least came with 10s. PRS's standards are so tight that the nut needs to be filed for heavier strings otherwise they pinch.

As I stated before this guitar is built on a whole different level from any standard production guitar available today only Custom Shops and the likes of Warrior and Tom Anderson are at this level and they cost a small fortune.

If you have the cashola you will not regret buying one of these. But before you spring for one on ebay play one yourself 'cause they have a unique voice and about the heftiest neck PRS makes.