• 0 follower
bubba808

bubba808

8 posts
New AFfiliate
First post
1 Posted on 01/27/2004 at 23:46:04
Hi Everybody!

I was just wondering whether anyone can recommend any decent (but cheapish) condenser mic. I'm living fairly frugally as a uni student, so I only have about $400 Australian (~US$550, ~150pounds). I'm looking for an multi-purpose thing for guitar, drums and maybe piano, so a large diaphragm would be great to capture a broad range of sounds (especially bass tones).

I've heard rave reviews about the M-Audio Luna, which is being compared to the vintage greats such as the Neumann et al. It will no doubt be far inferior in reality :rolleyes: (nothing can even approach a Neumann, especially at 150pounds), but the comparison has whet my appetite. Anyone know more about it?

There isn't really a mic forum so this was the closest I could find!

Cheers beers,
Bubba808
gawain_en

gawain_en

181 posts
AFfinity Poster
2 Posted on 01/27/2004 at 23:14:27
Hi Bubba,
you should take a look at the following thread where there is an interesting list of microphones on a budget.
http://www.studioathome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127&highlight=
tulsa

tulsa

2 posts
New AFfiliate
3 Posted on 01/30/2004 at 08:50:07
I have had very good results using a Behringer B-1. Inexpensive, flexible, good range, warmth and comes with a quality shock mount and hardshell case. Might be worth your while to check one out.
elamberth

elamberth

15 posts
New AFfiliate
4 Posted on 02/09/2004 at 09:40:35
Although I don't know that much about condensors (I have an Oktavia that sounds pretty good), it seems you are trying to do everything with just one mic. Perhaps something like a SHURE SM57 to mic amplifiers for ~$100, and then spend the rest on a mic that would work well for vocals, etc. The SHURE is a classic, and many (most?) guitars you have heard on albums have been mic'd with them. I like to do it about 1-2' away and slightly off center.

You may want to get a book on mic use and placement to learn more before you buy.
rbuscher

rbuscher

6 posts
New AFfiliate
5 Posted on 04/27/2005 at 19:36:23
without a doubt, get the AKG C300 or a Shure KSM series mic. I recorded most of my last album with the c300 and it kicked butt. Hear the album at https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/turningpoint2
Let me know if this helps. Mic costs around $400.US
KitC

KitC

243 posts
AFfinity Poster
6 Posted on 04/27/2005 at 20:56:26

Quote:

I've heard rave reviews about the M-Audio Luna, which is being compared to the vintage greats such as the Neumann et al. It will no doubt be far inferior in reality :rolleyes: (nothing can even approach a Neumann, especially at 150pounds), but the comparison has whet my appetite. Anyone know more about it?

Cheers beers,
Bubba808

The Luna is a good mic but not what I would call stellar. You can check out the review in the April 2004 Electronic Musician here: http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_maudioluna_solaris/index.html

Since you're from Australia, you're better off checking out your own Rode series of mics. The NT-1A sells for US$199 in Musicians Friend; the NT-2 multipattern goes for US$399; both of which are better mics than the Luna.

Just my $0.02

Best,
cookies
We are using cookies!

Yes, Audiofanzine is using cookies. Since the last thing that we want is disturbing your diet with too much fat or too much sugar, you'll be glad to learn that we made them ourselves with fresh, organic and fair ingredients, and with a perfect nutritional balance. What this means is that the data we store in them is used to enhance your use of our website as well as improve your user experience on our pages and show you personalised ads (learn more). To configure your cookie preferences, click here.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent
These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine and allow its optimization. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Example: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).
Google Analytics
We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it.
Advertising
This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest. We are likely to display advertisements from our own platform, from Google Advertising Products or from Adform.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent

These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Examples: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).

Google Analytics

We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it. When this parameter is activated, no personal information is sent to Google and the IP addresses are anonymized.

Advertising

This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest. We are likely to display advertisements from our own platform, from Google Advertising Products or from Adform.

You can find more details on data protection in our privacy policy.
You can also find information about how Google uses personal data by following this link.