Decent condenser mic?
- 5 replies
- 6 participants
- 4,237 views
- 0 follower
bubba808
8

New AFfiliate
Member 22 years ago
27 January 2004 to 23:46Decent condenser mic?
#1
Hi Everybody!
I was just wondering whether anyone can recommend any decent (but cheapish) condenser mic. I'm living fairly frugally as a uni student, so I only have about $400 Australian (~US$550, ~150pounds). I'm looking for an multi-purpose thing for guitar, drums and maybe piano, so a large diaphragm would be great to capture a broad range of sounds (especially bass tones).
I've heard rave reviews about the M-Audio Luna, which is being compared to the vintage greats such as the Neumann et al. It will no doubt be far inferior in reality :rolleyes: (nothing can even approach a Neumann, especially at 150pounds), but the comparison has whet my appetite. Anyone know more about it?
There isn't really a mic forum so this was the closest I could find!
Cheers beers,
Bubba808
I was just wondering whether anyone can recommend any decent (but cheapish) condenser mic. I'm living fairly frugally as a uni student, so I only have about $400 Australian (~US$550, ~150pounds). I'm looking for an multi-purpose thing for guitar, drums and maybe piano, so a large diaphragm would be great to capture a broad range of sounds (especially bass tones).
I've heard rave reviews about the M-Audio Luna, which is being compared to the vintage greats such as the Neumann et al. It will no doubt be far inferior in reality :rolleyes: (nothing can even approach a Neumann, especially at 150pounds), but the comparison has whet my appetite. Anyone know more about it?
There isn't really a mic forum so this was the closest I could find!
Cheers beers,
Bubba808
gawain_en
181

AFfinity Poster
Member 22 years ago
27 January 2004 to 23:14
#2
Hi Bubba,
you should take a look at the following thread where there is an interesting list of microphones on a budget.
http://www.studioathome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127&highlight=
you should take a look at the following thread where there is an interesting list of microphones on a budget.
http://www.studioathome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127&highlight=
tulsa
2

New AFfiliate
Member 22 years ago
30 January 2004 to 08:50
#3
I have had very good results using a Behringer B-1. Inexpensive, flexible, good range, warmth and comes with a quality shock mount and hardshell case. Might be worth your while to check one out.
elamberth
15

New AFfiliate
Member 22 years ago
09 February 2004 to 09:40
#4
Although I don't know that much about condensors (I have an Oktavia that sounds pretty good), it seems you are trying to do everything with just one mic. Perhaps something like a SHURE SM57 to mic amplifiers for ~$100, and then spend the rest on a mic that would work well for vocals, etc. The SHURE is a classic, and many (most?) guitars you have heard on albums have been mic'd with them. I like to do it about 1-2' away and slightly off center.
You may want to get a book on mic use and placement to learn more before you buy.
You may want to get a book on mic use and placement to learn more before you buy.
rbuscher
6

New AFfiliate
Member 21 years ago
27 April 2005 to 19:36
#5
without a doubt, get the AKG C300 or a Shure KSM series mic. I recorded most of my last album with the c300 and it kicked butt. Hear the album at https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/turningpoint2
Let me know if this helps. Mic costs around $400.US
Let me know if this helps. Mic costs around $400.US
KitC
243

AFfinity Poster
Member 21 years ago
27 April 2005 to 20:56
#6
Quote:
I've heard rave reviews about the M-Audio Luna, which is being compared to the vintage greats such as the Neumann et al. It will no doubt be far inferior in reality :rolleyes: (nothing can even approach a Neumann, especially at 150pounds), but the comparison has whet my appetite. Anyone know more about it?
Cheers beers,
Bubba808
The Luna is a good mic but not what I would call stellar. You can check out the review in the April 2004 Electronic Musician here: http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_maudioluna_solaris/index.html
Since you're from Australia, you're better off checking out your own Rode series of mics. The NT-1A sells for US$199 in Musicians Friend; the NT-2 multipattern goes for US$399; both of which are better mics than the Luna.
Just my $0.02
Best,
- List of moderators
- Rules
- Options