or
Create an account

or

Thread 2 Microphones, 1 Drum Set???

• 11 replies
  • 11 participants
  • 0 follower
1 2 Microphones, 1 Drum Set???
I have an sm57, and i'm looking to do some recording/producing/whateveryouwannacallit on my Powerbook/Ableton Live 3 setup via a M-Audio 410 Firewire Interface. I need to buy some more mics, but here is the catch, the 410 only has TWO INPUTS!!! So here is the question:

What mic should i buy to compliment the sm57 in sound recording?

Some things to think about: My drumset is decently loud, and i'll be playing general indie/rock beats with some pretty loud verses. Also, I'm a hard-up-for-cash student. ALSO, it'd be great if the mic could also record vocals and various other acoustic instruments.

I was thinking about either the Behringer B-2 or the Rode NT1A.
Show first post
Id gat a little mini desk for about £60 and create a stereo recording with more mics. Sm57's are great for a snare drum or toms but ideally you could do with a decent bass drum mic. I use two C1000's for overhead mics.
Pretty simple, but i've heard some nice sounds from one condensor mic. Put it about a metre in front of the kit and a quite high so that the bass doesn't dominate everything and you miss out some of the overtones from the cymbols. So long as you aren't bothered about having a stero mix you could do this.

You could put your sm-57 on whatever you think needs more presence in the mix; probably the high-hat or the snare (or both). Once its into your pc, you can mess about with multi-band compressors and EQ to perfect the mix.

hope this helps