or
Create an account

or

Thread 2 Microphones, 1 Drum Set???

• 11 replies
  • 11 participants
  • 0 follower
1 2 Microphones, 1 Drum Set???
I have an sm57, and i'm looking to do some recording/producing/whateveryouwannacallit on my Powerbook/Ableton Live 3 setup via a M-Audio 410 Firewire Interface. I need to buy some more mics, but here is the catch, the 410 only has TWO INPUTS!!! So here is the question:

What mic should i buy to compliment the sm57 in sound recording?

Some things to think about: My drumset is decently loud, and i'll be playing general indie/rock beats with some pretty loud verses. Also, I'm a hard-up-for-cash student. ALSO, it'd be great if the mic could also record vocals and various other acoustic instruments.

I was thinking about either the Behringer B-2 or the Rode NT1A.
If you can only use two tracks I would suggest that you record with just a pair of microphones placed overhead. The thing is that you'll need two microphones of the same model. I have used some 57 as overheads. Of course you' get better results with condenser microphones but it still sounded decent.
Is there a definite reason I need a pair of the same mics?

Also, I was thinking of having the 57 placed above and in front of the set, while having a condenser placed overhead. Is this not practical?

Quote: Is there a definite reason I need a pair of the same mics?

Also, I was thinking of having the 57 placed above and in front of the set, while having a condenser placed overhead. Is this not practical?

Generaly, people place 2 mics as overhead to record the stereo pane of the kit. But you can choose to have only one overhead!

For the second mic... I suggset that you place it on the snare if you want more groovy sound. Or to put it on the kick if you like to have a more "rock" sound.
If you want to record with more than two mics, you could alway buy an inexpensive mixer and run it to the interface. Nady has a set of 7 good quality drum mics for $160 at www.samedaymusic.com. You can get a good mixer for a couple hundred dollars. Just an idea. :)
Yep- submix! Borrow mics! Just make sure you like the sound/balance coming out of your mixer to your recorder before you record the track. Listen for the overall balance with headphones, and when you like it, hit it. Me and a couple friends have had great success with that idea.

I'm going to be experimenting with a mono drum track, since I don't have a "matched pair" of anything- but I've picked up some decent mics here and there. One mic (MXL V63M, or AT-871R boundary) overhead, a Radio Shack boundary mic in the kickdrum, a 57 on the snare, and something further back in the room. You could try a mic overhead and one in the kick- that's what I'd do if I just had two mics.

If you're using a 57 for the overall sound (above the kit), don't set it too high up, away from the snare especially- you'll get a sound without much snare-impact. You'll start getting more room than kit, and that might be too "loose" a sound for you. Try keeping it over your head and just far enough away to keep from bumping it or wacking it. If you want to drive your drums with the heavy-bottom thing (ie, with the bass), definitely mic the kick drum.

The Shure Gallery of Mic Positions (?) has one interesting idea, which is a single mic about 6 feet out front of the kit, and at around the player's head-height. Try everything! And you can tweak later with EQ and Compression to bring out some quality of your recording.

And a note about mics: There's lots of stuff out there that isn't being pushed by the pop consumer trends. Go find stuff and use it! You'll run into some cool sounds, and people will ask you how you got 'that sound'...
I've been recording for over 20 years and I have 2 MXL condensor mic's, a V63M ($75) and a 2003 ($100). I think these are the most underated mics. I use them to record everything; electric guitar, drum overheads, acoustic, vocals, even distance mic'ing bass cabinets. They sound great. I do prefer the 2003 over the v63M for vocals, however, because it's a little more "airy".
It's tough to get a "modern" drum sound with 2 mics. I'm not the biggest advocate of super close micing, but I'd much rather have kick, snare, and a mono overhead. A room mic would be nice too.

So much of the sound relies on the drummer and his kit. If either sounds crappy, the recording will sound crappy.

Brandon Drury
Yeah, I would barrow some mics and a mixer. Your local music store my have some rentals. I would mix the drums with at a least a 5 piece mic kit then run the outs of the mixer into to the compy. What you lose here is the ability to edit levels after recording, but it's going to sound a million times better than two overheads. If you use two overheads though, I find it's good to keep them behind or over the drummer, not over the cymbals. You'll pick up some better natural levels, i.e. more toms. Alright, come on.
gday. finding all the previous post's on this subject great. just wondering if someone can lead me in the right direction...
im in a country/blues/rock band and looking to do some home recording, but only have a pre-amp for two mics..

any suggestions on mic placement?? and also what mics to use?

cheers!!

henry