or
Create an account

or

Thread Rode NT2A

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Rode NT2A
How does it stack up for instrumental work? Looking at the specs, it seems to have a 2-3dB bump about 10k-15k, which would probably give a bit of air to vocals, but I want an omni to capture instrumental ambience.

Instruments will be (in different sessions): koto, koto ensemble, shakuhachi, percussion, Middle Eastern stringed instruments, in a rather dry room.

Alternatively, Rode K2, or the Studio Projects C3 multi-pattern, or the M-Audio Solaris?

Any experience with any of these as instrumental microphones?
They are in my opinion very good, a lot of bang for the buck. I've used a pair of them together with a Presonus Firepod and my laptop to record several concerts with my string quartet. Very low self noise, so it's ideal for recording dynamic sources. I use a A+B setup with both mics set to omni.
The pattern switch makes it really versatile, however I don't think it sounds as well in cardioid and figure 8 modes.

The sound is quite neutral, but if it comes too close to violins, the sound can be a bit harsh. (I recon that's because of the violins, not the mic...)

Best regards from Norway,
T.