Edirol UM-1X
Edirol UM-1X

MIDI Interface from Edirol belonging to the UM series.

stompboxjon stompboxjon

« Small device .. you will eventually outgrow it »

Published on 09/15/12 at 20:06
The Edirol UM-1X is a 1 in and 1 out USB MIDI interface, the MIDI cord is pretty long as well as the USB side of it. So you can reach your gear no matter where it might be in the room. The device is very small and can be taken anywhere with you. The UM1X has very fast processing of MIDI DATA and you wont experience much latency. It also has LED indicators to let you know that MIDI data is being passed from your gear through the UM-1X. Setting it up is very easy in any DAW you might be using, since its just a 1 in and 1 out there are not issues with trying to set up multiple channels. It is truly a plug and play unit.

I have never experienced a update for the drivers. The disk that comes with the UM-1X had the right driver to work with all programs and systems. I used it on my Intel Core i7 desktop computer and never experienced any issues with it. I still own it I just don’t use it much. If you want to switch the MIDI gear to a different piece of gear you may have to restart the UM-1X or close out of your session, I did experience some minor issues with changing the MIDI gear in the middle of a project.

It is a small affordable MIDI adapter that plugs into your computer via USB. If you are in need of a MIDI connection this one will serve its purpose for your small set up, but as your studio grow you will need to get a different MIDI interface with more ins and outs because 1 just wont be enough once you get more gear. I am happy with my choice to use the UM-1X while I had it, it has low latency and works great.