Agrandir
Emeixsell Emeixsell

« Hufschmid fully lives up to its reputation »

Published on 02/22/22 at 14:42
Audience: Anyone
Last year I received a Tantalum model from Hufschmid Guitars. I have owned higher end instruments from Suhr, Martin, Kiesel and Ibanez in the past, but this is truly a one-of-a-kind instrument. One you get a hand-built instrument from an expert luthier there is a human connection to it that immediately feels like you are holding a work of art.

Aesthetically, the build is just stunning. It has a highly figured Bastogne Wood top with a Gorgeous Crelicam Ebony 24 Fretboard with a 12" radius. The neck and body is 1 piece Quarter-sawn Sipo Mahogany. The frets were cryogenically treated and so they should last as long as frets can possibly last. The pickups are Hufschmid_Designed Humbuckers that are triple-blade resin cast. The nut is one of the first guitars to use the PEEK material (Polyetheretherkeytone).

The end result is an instrument that sounds massive and authoritative. The pickups have a healthy amount of output, but they respond with a lot of detail when the volume is rolled back. I don't often like the clean tones of humbucking pickups, but the cleans are just gorgeous on this guitar. There is a solidness to the distorted tone and a focus to the sound that translates really well to recordings. I've recorded this guitar several times and I'm always impressed with the final product.

Feel-wise, this is the heaviest instrument that I own and the thickest neck, but I don't find it difficult to get around at all. Every detail of this guitar is carefully thought through and it translates to an effortless playing experience.

If you are on the fence about buying a Hufschmid Guitar, I can say without hesitation that they will not disappoint in any way. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is unparalleled. I was lucky enough to play a number of them before I got this one so I had a good impression of what to expect, but this one is easily my favorite of the 6 or 7 that I've played.

The audio demo I attached here was recorded using the Hufschmid Tantalum and the Kemper Profiler using a profile of a boosted Soldano SLO100. It sounds massive.

Audio examples