Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 03/08/09 à 06:52
(Originally written by dimebag hammett/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
Analog distortion, no tube inside.

9-volt operation.

Made in the USA.

Very sturdy housing.

Ultra-easy configuration, no need for a user's manual:

- Volume control

- Three-band EQ (treble, mid, bass)

- Distortion control

Convenient Booster function.

The most important thing is that the sound is HUGE.

You can see what kind of music this pedal was made for just by looking at it, and its sound will only confirm that! Typical fat heavy metal distortion. If you turn up the Mid and Treble controls you'll get a typical 80's thrash metal sound and you'll feel the need to play "Seek and Destroy". I like a very hollow sound with loud lows and highs and almost no mids. The sound is very fat and palm mutes sound amazing (I play a Jackson DK2L with Seymour Duncan pickups).

The boost function increases the volume. Even though it changes the sound color it's perfect for solos. Don't turn the knobs all the way because the sound becomes awful.

I give it a 9/10 because of the boost function, which increases the volume a bit too much. Otherwise the pedal is perfect. I also thought about buying the Dime Distortion... If you are in the same situation, think about it before spending a fortune to get the distortion of our late master.

I've been using it for several months. I have a 40-watt solid-state Peavey Transtube Envoy 110 and I tested it also with a Laney HCM15R. This pedal provides really good results with every amp! I previously played a Lag Jet 100ML and now i have a Jackson with a mind blowing sound. Cons: the boost function, use it with care. The typical heavy metal look is a matter of taste... I personally like it :D.

Excellent value for money (I bought just when ts priced dropped so I got the Metal Muff at the price of a Little^^).

Based on my experience I would buy it again, even if the Dime Distortion is still one of the best distortion pedals for me. But this MM is a very good choice and I don't regret at all having bought it!!