Waves MV2
Hatsubai Hatsubai

« Simple compressor that sounds good »

Publié le 07/17/11 à 16:06
Compression has been the effect of choice for nearly everything ever since the 60s. This is actually a very simple compressor compared to some of the other plugins out there, including the other Waves plugins. All you have is a slider for low level, high level and overall output. The plugin is basic, but that's kind of the charm of the actual plugin. It's for those who just want that basic compression sound without having to go through tons of options to get the sound they want. To use this, simply enable it on whatever buss you're looking to use it on. This plugin really needs to manual, and I couldn't tell you how well written the Waves one is because I never used it.

Waves is really one of the best companies out there when it comes to implementing solid plugins with no real fuss. These plugins are always rock solid and super stable; this plugin is really no different. I've never experienced a single crash or hiccup while using this plugin. The plugin is also cross platform compatible, so Windows and OS X users alike can use these without any problems. There is one issue that I always gripe about, however. These plugins are 32 bit for OS X. Right now, I'm using a 64 bit DAW, and for me to utilize these plugins, it needs to launch a special bridge application. I'm not a huge fan of the way my DAW utilizes these, so I'm hoping they update these in the future. I've been using the Waves Mercury bundle for the past six or so months, and it's been a very enlightening experience to say the least.

The plugin is very basic, but it still delivers a solid compression sound. I've used it successfully on both guitars and drums in the past. However, when dealing with very high gain guitars, I don't like it as much because it's not as versatile. I've also never tried it on drums before, so I can't comment on that. I wouldn't use it on electronica music, but this can work pretty cool on the master buss for some overall volume increase.