Vox Duel Overdrive
Vox Duel Overdrive

Overdrive pedal from Vox belonging to the Cooltron series.

Le Taz Le Taz
Publié le 01/22/10 à 22:59
2 channels of overdrive pedal tube. Not too expensive for this type of product, but the power supply &#39;could be offered ... It has 2 separate channels based on the same sound, with its own settings: gain tone and volume. It also features a bass boost, not adjustable, but assignable to channel 1 or 2 (not both). Given the grain of the craft, a eq a little more complete, at least one of the two channels would have been welcome (rather than the bass boost), but the sounds are already harvestable goods at the base.

No manual, why? It was the grain immediately. Settings immediately fall under the fingers. The bass boost seemed irrelevant or inoperable at first sight, but according to use, it can have a vital interest. I almost forgot: pedal without breath, even in hostile environments.

It has the same sound on each channel at the base. You plug the unit with the knobs at noon, and, strangely, you have an irrepressible urge to scroll through the directory of AC / DC. And I&#39;m not the only one here that it made it seem. It was a sort of crossover Vox / Marshall the best of taste: the grain, the gain marshall and biting, with a tonal spectrum rather "voxien", a beautiful warmth and harmonic richness, the holding in the midrange, but also the dynamics. The only quibble is that suddenly, with a guitar "guts" and gain donf &#39;, you drool a bit in the bass. This pedal is not too clean or too dirty (apparently, USW: go your way), perfect for blues, rock, hardcore, country (why not?). This gives the parties consisantance lead (which life) and parts crunch quite nice. The very strong point, hard to find in the competition (not even a headache amp current) is respect the nuances of the game Clearly, we need fingers and know how to get the max this machine, even if it is not too cruel to small imperfections of game I play rock and blues rock instead. My use is as follows: the channel dedicated to the crunch (with volume less than the channel two). According to the amp, I assign it to him that the bass boost to give it some body failing to push the gain. Depending on the song, the channel receives a boost from a BB Preamp, RC booster or a TS9 for a lead part. This boost of high mids then gives a helping presence, and balance the volume on channel two. It allows me to have a discreet rhythm (when my rhythm guitarist takes a solo), but also provide parts and rhythmic bluesy lead. Channel two ... I have not looked too ... Drive donf &#39;: it howls but it lives and breathes it anyway. For the booster is more delicate. We already have a very beautiful drive sustained and fairly mediums. TS9 and RC do not put them in value, BB cons helps maintain signal clarity and drive for plans where you have really very, very big drive and the definition provided.

I usually am wary of hasty opinion ... and that I have this pedal for a week ... But hey, I saw a lot of stuff scroll! I&#39;m pretty hard to have rejected any marshall my 800, and shelved the rivera, brunetti, Engl, fender, etc.. I tried the Big Ben, who had rather impressed by his side JCM 800 (and compared with the original, really bluffing). I had not responded at the time, since I already had the original to the house. But here it is: for many reasons, I can not use my 800 at all costs, especially in a home studio. So I searched, owned a bunch of pedals: Brunetti Overtone 2, Maxon Tube King (I know the name but it&#39;s their version of the Ibanez), Mesa (rocket, twin), Hughes & Kettner, and lots of little brands trends (OCD and company). I used a Blackstar HT Dual 2 years. It has the advantage of having a real EQ section from the HT Drive. This is the only one that has found favor in my ears, but they are tired. Whatever the setting or EQ ISF, we remain in a grain modern Californian and rather to my liking. Pluguées in my 800, it worked, but not break 3 legs a duck either. This little Duel Overdrive, I recorded the day after my purchase ... and I finally felt "at home". The result is enormous. I took her to repeat and plugged into the clean channel of my JCM 800 2210 with 3 settings: volume, treble and bass ... a clear channel marshall in the true sense of the word, very "flat", not really shimmering and that does not blow the gift ... Well my friends, what a slap! No pedal drive has never sounded so good in this amp! We are in the same spirit, but with different frequencies. This is especially interesting as it gives me alternatives: I can not take my Marshall sound on stage is deaf or draft, my second scratch takes up space (sound frequencies) with the Mesa Road King .. . Well now I have a solution, for cheap. I&#39;d end up having too much heard this pedal ... But that, in terms of styles that I play and the sound I was looking for, what I could find better. Although this product does not meet your expectations, you will be charmed by the sound coming out. I would do this choice without hesitation.

EDIT 2 months later: I do not withdraw what I said was a marvel. IBA with whom I play long have barely noticed that I no longer use the distortion of the 800, there is even scratch the Yardbirds who wanted to take a look on my pedalboard (I will not tell the ankles ...) . Recording, a treat. No need to push, you can almost put the mics anyhow, catch ring. I am completely crazy about the overdrive!