or
Create an account

or

Thread A good Mic for recording Bansuri or Flute

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 3 followers
1 A good Mic for recording Bansuri or Flute
Anybody know of a good mic, not too expensive, for recording flutes in general? And also the best placement technique to use?
You can use a small capsule condenser microphone like Oktava mk012 or Rode NT5 or Studio Projects C4 for recording flute in studio.

For pop music you can put the microphone close to the instrument, at 20 or 30cm near of the mouth of the musician.
For classical music you should prefer to put one mic or a stereo couple at one or two meters in front of the musician, but be careful about the room you're recording in, you'll hear it very well so take a sweet one.
I've got an Oktava mk012, and it sounds fantastic with my guitars and sitar, and even some vocals, but i find that it gets a strange sound when i record flutes. The breath is too loud and almost sounds kind of "out of phase" sometimes. it's hard to describe. i guess i need to change the angle or the distance. would you use 1 mic or a stereo pair, and would you put the -10 pad on it/them.

Quote: The breath is too loud and almost sounds kind of "out of phase" sometimes

If you hear too much breath try to put the microphone further.
I think I understand your "out of phase" trouble, flutes are instruments with few harmonics so they're very sensible to acoustic problems. In some stereo recording the flute seems to move at a different place depending on the note played, the F can be heard from the left, C on the center and A from the right.

Don't hesitate to spend time to place your mic, and to choose a good room and the place of the musician in this room.
Ok thanks, but what about the 2 mics versus 1 mic question?