Create an account

or

Thread lead guitar mixing

• 9 replies
  • 10 participants
  • 7 followers
1 lead guitar mixing
hello,

i have been composing, recording and mixing for a long time relatively.
you can check my sounds at my site below.

here is what i do:

1- export the backing track from any sequencer application after mixing it.
2- record lead guitar in one shot in sound forge for example.
3- mix both tracks then export.

what i'd like to know if anyone gets better mixes uses different procedures.
it will be really appreciated if you can share with me.
Hi ,

Why don't you record your guitar line in your sequencer program ?

What's the program you're using for sequencing ?
I use a few different programs for such. my favorite as of this moment tho is Acid studio 6.0. Its a simple and easy to use program. I also like to use Cubase, again a simple and easy program. pretty much how i record lead guitar is by first laying down the basic track for the song, bass and rhythm guitar, mixing both of them with an alesis usb multimix 8. I record 2 tracks for them. so i can mix each one sep and adjust all the levels. Then once ive got those finished i will play it back threw a set of studio speakers while running the guitar back into the mixer and recording a new track for lead, Works rather well. that way i can mix each track and fine tune it. Then just export it as a Stereo wav file.
Like Raffi said, the easiest method is to just record a lead track in the same sequencer you recorded the basic track. You're still able to mix each track separately. Unless your sequencer doesn't allow you to record audio, but reason is the only one I can think of that doesn't.
I've always stuck with recording the lead directly to the sequencer as well
Straight into your DAW via your audio interface is a common way as mentioned, but, if you have a nice sounding amp and a good mic try putting the mic on your amp and recording the amp via your s-card if it has xlr inputs and, depending on your mic, phantom pwr. This way yields better tone and a much better performance.
For rhythm and lead guitar, I've got 2 line 6 pods (a V2 and X3). I take the left and right output and plug it into input 1 and input 2 on my interface. Select the sound I want and record through logic. I usually put a limiter on my guitars in Logic and EQ. With the EQ I usually cut about 80hz which is approximately where a guitar amp usually cuts out and then I add some top end they sound great.
You can pick up a lot on mixing on this site and download some studio sessions and mix them yourself in Cubase http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/recording-brew.shtml

all the best

john
Www.recording-microphones.co.uk
I think recording with a microfone is always the best way in my opinion. If you record Line-In make sure you also get the 'raw' signal so you have a chance to re-amp later (run the signal through the amp and record with a microfone after the takes are done). PODs can give a decent sound and not everyone has the chance to record at high volumes.
If you do though it's just better sounding - especially if the playback itself is already generated by a sequencer.

Also recording over a mixdown usually just makes your life harder. Most sequencing softwares these days also let you record directly within the application.

I strongly agree with PHRASELAND.. bravo