or
Create an account

or

Thread Having trouble mixing with new speakers

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Having trouble mixing with new speakers
Hi all... I have just found your forum and must say it is well wicked.

Here's my problem... I have just purchased a pair of Yamaha MSP5A's. Previously i had been mixing using headphones. Whilst i know this was not ideal it did the job and i didn't have the issues I am running into now.

When I listen to recordings through my new speakers, that I have mixed and completed using my headphones, the mixes are just all over the place - they sound terriable. So I make adjustments with panning and volume to the track to suit the new spaekers, mixdown, then burn to CD and the result is below average. The bass will be way to loud and overpowering, the synth might be so distant and quiet you can't recongnise it...

What's up with this? What am I doing wrong... or not doing at all? I was told it is just a matter of getting use to the speakers but there must be more to it then this. I don't understand why what sounded like a pretty good mix when listen through headphones now has parts completly washed out or over compensated for just because I am listen o the same mix through different speakers.

If anyone out there could offer me some helpful advice it would be most appreciated. Cheers!
Ricko-

First of all, make sure that your speaker placement is correct. The two speakers and your head should form an equalateral triangle with tne speakers at ear level and pointed at your head. The should also be at least 6-8 inches from the wall. That's a minimum setup.

Next, I would take a couple of commercial CD's in the same genre of what you're playing that have a sound you're going for and listen to them for awhile on your new setup. That'll help give your ears a reference to work from.

If all that fails, it is possible that you will need to do some room treatment to eliminate standing waves or dead spots. Save that for last, though.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Ricko,

I have a pair of MSP5s. What does the "A" mean? No matter. I really like these speakers as far as accuracy and image, but I find that the boom from the bass holes is rediculous. I'm not sure if this is bothering you, but what I did was shove an equal amount of rolled-up toilet paper in each of the holes (Not too far! You never get them out again!).

I also suggest you have another set of cheap speakers (perhaps self-powered computer speakers) in your setup that you can quickly switch to and monitor you mix through. The more speakers you can listen through during mixing, the better! Can you do that with your setup?

%1$s a écrit Next, I would take a couple of commercial CD's in the same genre of what you're playing that have a sound you're going for and listen to them for awhile on your new setup. That'll help give your ears a reference to work from.

That's the best advice of all! You do need to allow yourself time to get used to the new speakers. Also play a CD that you listen to everywhere and often.

Be patient. You'll get it going! :)
Flash, Axeman... thank you both for your help. Im in the process of tracking down some exrtra speakers like you recommended and I now have the speakers set up as suggested.

Another question though. The idea of listening to a commercial Cd through my current set up is a great idea, however i am having trouble configuring this. (Pleae excuse my ignorance)

I would like to be able to use the CD player in my lap top as the source but i can't config Winows Media Player so that the output is going to my externel soundcard (TASCAM US-122)... and then to my mixer (ALTO S-8) which my speakers are coming out of.
I have made what i believe to be the appropiate changes to the devices under options in WMP but this doesn't work.

Any suggestions... Once again thank you.
I'd just take the line out off your laptop sound card into a stereo channel on the mixer.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD