or
Create an account

or

Thread Bootlegs

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Bootlegs
if you have ever made a bootleg of a show, tell us about how you recorded it? where? what band? and give a link to some mp3s if you can...
Well, I did it a few times, always with the band clearance (yet some f*****g band still refuse, most of them are rather happy and enjoy hearing these, some may become friends or provide free tickets for next gigs...).

1. first method, my all-day one: I used a small mini-disk recorder (Sony MZ-N1) and a good sterreo microphone and check for a nice, not too close from the speakers (because of high air pressure, you will have a nasty saturated sound), above the crowd and ABSOLUTELY not in the public (unless you have interrest in your neighbours stupid discution about how he would have played the thing or the classical "You are you recording? can you give me a copy" stuff you always reply "No!" etc...). For me the best place is where the mixer is, above a big flycase or so. This way, you just have a clean sound with just a bit of ambience between songs.

2. second method, not everywhere : As I hang around for a few years now, I am know rather well known and there are places where I can directly plug my MD in the mixer... this is the best, you have the exact sound from the band, no buzz, no clash, not stupid people speaking and my MD is safe, I can even get into the pit and headbang. One thing I also ask from times to times is an extra microphone for ambiance... This is not always possible, but if you use to know the band or the sound-guy you can work it all out. Another good way is to be the sound-guy yourself, one of my hobby, this can also open some holy gates!!!

Hope it helped... and sorry for I provide no mp3s, if you respect the band they will do the same... there is much more fun to hang around with a backstage pass than just make money and know nobody!

Lau'
excellent excellent tips! thanks alot, which stereo mic are you using?

Quote: if you have ever made a bootleg of a show, tell us about how you recorded it? where? what band? and give a link to some mp3s if you can...

well, as llaurrentt said, the VERY best place indeed is the soundboard itself, but I never dare to ask ;p, and the second best place is where the soundboard is, you would't imagine a sound ingeneer putting his stuff where the sound is the worst in a venue ;p
But I almost never go there, becuase for me being close to the stage is a big part of my pleasure at a concert and as I'm recording mainly for my personal use I don't really mind the loss of quality.
And actually nobody really notices I'm recording, or if they do I ask them before the concert starts to keep it a bit quiet :)
What I use to record is a Sharp IM-DR 420 H(S) minidisc recorder with binaural mics (those : http://www.core-sound.com/mics.html) that I clip on my collar, as I'm a tall guy they always stay in direct line of the speakers.
And here are a few mp3s : www.okcomputer-fr.net, the Radiohead one is by me (this time I was not close to the stage due to a late arrival onto the Festival site, which was not a bad thing finaly as I could stay in the shadow and avoid getting baddly burnt by the California desert sun :)

Sam