or
Create an account

or

Thread Time Stretch Tips

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Time Stretch Tips
I am experimenting with time compression ("stretch" in CEP Pro). Listener feedback on several of my mixes indicates the tempo is too slow. I am trying speed up the mixes to add some jump to the songs. Does anyone have any experience on this subject. I have only experimented with modified mixes so far. I am wondering if I should "stretch" prior to mixing. Thanks in advance. Jim
My experience with stretching is limited to Cakewalk Pro 9, and it didn't work very well. The more you try to stretch or compress, the worse it's going to sound. That seemed to apply equally to both whole mixes and individual tracks.

You can play around with it some, but if you want to speed things up by more than a couple BPM, your best bet is probably to track the whole song again.

My .02, YMMV!! ;)
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I have experimented with up to 10% time compressing, which adds some jump but I lose some crispness on the lead notes and the drum strikes. The vocals seem to hold up okay. Rerecording is always an option but is not what I am going for at this time. Thanks for the 2 cents.

I am going to try to add more points to the FFT filter and see if splitting the waveform into smaller slices will reduce the "drop out" (for lack of a better definition) sounds from the note crispness. If I understand the compression method correctly this might help. So far I have only working with the same time compression routine for each track, some tracks hold up better than others.

If the FFT experiment doesn't work I will try reducing the percentage for each track until I find a happy medium. This is very labor intensive but not as much as rerecording. (15 songs, many with 20 tracks each)

In my old age and dotage I tend to record things slow, but the youth of today always wants everything up-tempo, at least the ones in my listening circle. I'm not looking to create a racing tempo, just to add a slight increase.