• 8 participants
  • 8 followers
born2bealive

born2bealive

2 posts
New AFfiliate
First post
1 Posted on 10/10/2014 at 07:41:27
I'm still very new to recording vocals on my own. What effects should I use to be able to get a vocal tone like MGMT in "kids", or more specifically, Starfucker's "Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second"? (see video)

EQlikeaboss

EQlikeaboss

30 posts
New AFfiliate
2 Posted on 10/10/2014 at 07:56:30
Heavy compression with multiple layers, plenty of reverb, and a buttload of delay
born2bealive

born2bealive

2 posts
New AFfiliate
3 Posted on 10/13/2014 at 02:21:25
So for a beginner like myself, I'm assuming the order matters. Would the following look right?

• Record multiple tracks (not duplicates)
  • Apply extreme compression (How much? Any additional advice here?)
  • Apply delay
  • Apply reverb

Is that right? In addition to obvious harmonies
dirtyAC30

dirtyAC30

16 posts
New AFfiliate
4 Posted on 10/13/2014 at 06:04:07
That's more the story with MGMT in "Kids", but for that STRFCKR example, it sounds like it's quad tracked. Compressor seems to be removing the transients. The vocals are actually quite dry in this example (at least regarding reverb and delay).

I would venture a guess and say there's a short convolution, along with potentially a low speed tape saturation to give a natural reduction in the highs without cutting them. Anything else I might simply attribute to the singer's singing style
walterwhitey

walterwhitey

4 posts
New AFfiliate
5 Posted on 10/13/2014 at 13:51:27
It sounds like both examples have a lot of frequencies looped off (either by EQ or tape). To get a similar sound I would low pass all the way up to 500 and high pass as low as, i dunno, 5k. It should get you the nostalgic/speakerbox effect you're after if you wanna give it a try
j.jones78

j.jones78

10 posts
New AFfiliate
6 Posted on 10/14/2014 at 01:36:27
A lot of the sound is up to the gear. For example, the Black Keys have a vintage and nostalgic sound, largely due to the fact that they specifically use a lot of vintage and cheap gear in their setup. Their vocals have a slapback or John Lennon delay and was recorded hot. It might also be distorted in a preamp or VLA.

Point being, that same sound is much harder to get with a different setup.
we want the funk

we want the funk

2 posts
New AFfiliate
7 Posted on 10/15/2014 at 00:50:14
Quote from dirtyAC30:
That's more the story with MGMT in "Kids", but for that STRFCKR example, it sounds like it's quad tracked. Compressor seems to be removing the transients. The vocals are actually quite dry in this example (at least regarding reverb and delay).

I would venture a guess and say there's a short convolution, along with potentially a low speed tape saturation to give a natural reduction in the highs without cutting them. Anything else I might simply attribute to the singer's singing style

Pardon the potentially idiotic question, but what in the world is a short convolution?
dirtyAC30

dirtyAC30

16 posts
New AFfiliate
8 Posted on 10/15/2014 at 01:02:44
A short convolution is a type of reverb that incorporates a sample of a real room then recreates that type of reverb in your sound. Waves IR1, Space Designer, etc to name a few
PhongLuu

PhongLuu

1 post
New AFfiliate
9 Posted on 10/16/2014 at 23:59:54
I was immediately enamored with the two-step, glitchy, dubby rhythms mashed with soulful vocals that SBTRKT, born as Aaron Jerome, has created.
CaliMoose

CaliMoose

121 posts
AFfinity Poster
10 Posted on 10/17/2014 at 01:38:52
I think you're talking about a different band :mdr:
cookies
We are using cookies!

Yes, Audiofanzine is using cookies. Since the last thing that we want is disturbing your diet with too much fat or too much sugar, you'll be glad to learn that we made them ourselves with fresh, organic and fair ingredients, and with a perfect nutritional balance. What this means is that the data we store in them is used to enhance your use of our website as well as improve your user experience on our pages (learn more). To configure your cookie preferences, click here.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent
These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine and allow its optimization. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Example: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).
Google Analytics
We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it.
Advertising
This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent

These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Examples: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).

Google Analytics

We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it. When this parameter is activated, no personal information is sent to Google and the IP addresses are anonymized.

Advertising

This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest.

You can find more details on data protection in our privacy policy.
You can also find information about how Google uses personal data by following this link.