or
Create an account

or

Thread properly setting up a compressor for vocals

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 properly setting up a compressor for vocals
I'm still new to this so sorry if it's a stupid question. When I compress a vocal, obviously the gain eventually goes down unless I increase the gain within the compressor. So when comparing this compressed vocal with attenuated gain, to one without compression, the biggest reason the compressed vocal sounds better is because I increased it's gain.

That is to say, it would really help to be able to turn on and off a compressor without having to worry about keeping levels the same, so that way you can focus entirely on the tonal and musical difference between compressed and uncompressed vocals. Does this functionality exist? I'm just having difficulty deciding how much to compress if I can't decide whether it's the compression or the volume that's influencing me...
Well the trick is to match the compressed sound with the original one using the "make up gain" ones the have the same level you don't have to worry about the levels while turning the compressor on/off.

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Thanks for the response angelie, and sorry for the lame newb questions!

I thought I was doing what you said, but I just realized that my problem comes from using a channel plugin. So the makeup gain within the plug-in also effects the EQ, for example. So I would increase the make-up gain, then turn the compressor on and off instead of turning the entire channel plug-in on and off.

Anyways thanks for the help, I htink Ive figured it out
No problem and remember stuppid questions do not exists so when you have questions do not hassetate to ask :-)

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...