Alesis QuadraVerb II
Alesis QuadraVerb II

Reverb from Alesis belonging to the QuadraVerb series.

Skjold Skjold

« Complicated possibilities  »

Published on 08/12/12 at 07:43
This unit works both in analog (1/4" jack) and digital (ADAT). You get MIDI comparability in regards to switching between presets along with on the fly changes. When using it, in the digital domain, you need to use the word clock 48kHz input, in order to sync it with your DAW.

When investing in this unit, you get four different types of effects. Pitch, Delay, Equalization and of course Reverb. Each effect then has several different types in it. For instance, the pitch effect includes Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Leslie, Pitch shifting, Detune and Ring Modulator. The delay block includes 6 different types of delay including mono and multi-tap versions. Finally the reverb ranges from small club rooms to huge halls. Each with programmable parameters, like decay, pre-delay, diffusion and so on.

Further controllability can be found in the bypass jack input and the tap tempo input jack, found on the back of the unit.

The basic operation of the unit is simple, but when you want to program you own presets, you might want do get a hold of the manual. Should you not have it (in case you bought the unit second hand), you can find it online and download it. As far as I know, the manual only exists in english.
I tried copying a preset already in the unit, and modify it to my needs, but even that was very tricky. The manual does not state clearly, how you press 'enter', once you've found a setting that you like. The menus seem to pop up from time to time.

For some strange reason, this unit also uses the right input jack, when operating in mono mode. This is quite strange, since most units use the left input when operating in mono - So beware of that!

Should you manage to get a grip on how to program your own presets, you have plenty of room to save them. 200 slots is what you get.

First of all, I use this as an auxiliary effect running different tracks like vocals, guitar, piano and occasionally some drums through.
I think that the sounds on the reverbs are rather metallic and digital sounding, with a harsh top. Somewhere around 5kHz and up. I only use the reverb on the unit, so I can't comment on the other effects in this unit. I've tried various tricks in order to take away some of the metallic/digital sound of the reverb, but none of them has really worked how I wanted them to.

I would really not recommend this unit if you're looking for a reverb unit. Even as a multi effect processor this unit doesn't cut it. It is way to complicated to find your way around, and it's really like they wanted to put to many possibilities into this single unit, that what you really need is an education at MIT, just to know how to turn it on!
If the price is right (below 60$) give it a try, but don't expect something that sounds like a million bucks, because you'll never get that sound with this one.