TC Electronic Updates Loudness Meter Range
TC Electronic has announced that it is updating its entire Loudness Meter range to comply with ITU-R BS.1770-2.
TC Electronic explains that for the past two years, pro audio and broadcasting has been moving away from peak level normalization and towards new, loudness-based solutions. In April 2011, another step was taken when ITU-R upgraded its BS.1770 standard to BS.1770-2.
According to the company, the first version of BS.1770 relied on ambiguous speech detection, which can have unexpected consequences trying to control the level of commercials or programs of certain genres. The 1770-2 recommendation incorporates a relative gate, designed to make the measurement well-defined and practical to use, also across genres.
TC Electronic’s Loudness Meter Range and BS.1770-2
Now, TC Electronic updates its radar loudness meters in System 6000 MKII (v. 5.11), DB4 (v. 3.20), DB8 (v. 3.20), DB4 MKII (v. 3.20), DB8 MKII (v. 3.20), LM2 (v.1.11), TC TouchMonitor TM7 & TM9 (v. 1.14) and for ProTools HD (LM5D version 2) to comply with BS.1770-2.
Besides from BS.1770-2 measurement compatibility, these machines also have dedicated EBU R128, TR-B32 and ATSC A/85 metering presets. Additionally, smooth and BS.1770-2 compliant loudness correction is now available in DB4, DB8, DB4 MKII and DB8 MKII, while DB2 will get the capability this summer.
To download the new software versions:
- System 6000 MKII: tcelectronic.com/system6000support
- DB4, DB8, DB4 MKII & DB8 MKII: tcelectronic.com/db-4software
- LM5D for Pro Tools version 2: tcelectronic.com/lm5d-support
Viewers of this article also read...
- SM Pro Audio CQ15 & CQ31 SM Pro Audio introduces two new devices that combine multi-band graphic equalization and compression.
- New Carvin Concert Series Mixers Carvin adds two new models to their lineup of Concert Series mixers.
- SM Pro Audio M-Patch 4M SM Pro Audio announces the arrival of its new M-Patch 4M monitor controller, designed to combine attenuation and audio source/destination switching with talkback capabilities.