Waves V-EQ 4
Hatsubai Hatsubai

« 4 band vintage EQ »

Publié le 08/04/11 à 19:39
This is very similar to the V-EQ3 that Waves also has. The main difference between this and the V-EQ3 is that this has an extra band. This plugin is actually modeled after the famous 1081 EQ. Waves set out to create a plugin that has the precision of a virtual/software EQ but has that famous vintage sound that so many people go after. The plugin has features such as LP filter frequency adjustments, HP filter frequency adjustments, on/off button, phase reverse button, LF filter frequency adjustment, LF filter gain, LF filter type, Bell filter frequency, LMF bell filter gain, LMF HiQ on/off, HMF bell frequency adjustments, HF frequency adjustments, analog on/off, output adjustments, train output gain adjustment and more. To use this plugin, you simply enable it on whatever buss you want to use it on. I've never read the manual, but the plugin is fairly simple to use and figure out if you've used EQs before. If not, turning knobs will probably get results quicker than reading the manual.

Waves is pretty famous when it comes to both compatibility and stability. For one, these plugins are rock solid. I've never experienced any problems using these. There have never been any freezes, glitches or anything bizarre going on, even with a fairly heavy usage of other VSTs in the DAW. This is also cross platform compatible, so anybody on an Apple or Windows computer can easily use this without any problems. There is one problem, however. In OS X, this plugin is 32 bit only. That means that your DAW needs to enable a special bridge application if you want to use your environment in 64 bit while utilizing these 32 bit plugins. It's does it automatically, but I'd like to see the next revision be a 64 bit plugin if possible. I've been using the Mercury bundle for half a year now, and it's been a wonderful experience.

I find myself using this more than the V-EQ3 for whatever reason. I think that extra band tends to give me some more versatility. However, I don't use this plugin quite as much as other plugins out there. It's definitely a solid plugin, and it gives you a great sound. However, I usually just find myself using the stock Logic EQ as it's so versatile and clear sounding. It all depends on what you're going for in terms of tone. If you're after that more vintage sound, this could be exactly what you're looking for.