or
Create an account

or

Thread Found a cheap but effective way to buffer echo in a mic room!!!

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Found a cheap but effective way to buffer echo in a mic room!!!
In a desperate search for a way to dampen the echo in my 8'x9' mic room that was all drywall and concrete, I happened across a store in my neighborhood called Jo-Ann fabric. There I found this roll of cotton batting that was about five feet wide by 75 feet long (25 yards). Batting is basically a sheet of soft, woven cotten, about 1/4" thick, that old ladies use to fill the inside of quilts and comforters. I bought the entire 5x75' roll (for $37) and took it home. I stopped by Walmart and bought ten moderately heavy velvet curtains and a staple gun, went home, and got to work. The whole deal costed me about $150, and it works perfect. It's the most ingenious idea I've had since the last ingenious idea I had.

First I rolled out the cotton batting in vertical strips and just stapled it to the wall around the edges, using equal spacing between the staples for neatness. I covered the entire wall space with this cotton stuff. It's flexible, it'll stretch if you need it to, but it covered the walls exactly. I just used scissors or an exacto knife to cut around the edges. Then I took the curtains and hung them sideways. I stretched them out so that they covered the wall (and the batting) and stapled them up there the same way. It's sounds tacky, but I did it very neatly. Some of the curtains are a solid blue velvet, the rest is a solid burgandy. The blue starts at the top of the wall and comes down about four feet. The burgandy is neatly tucked below that and goes down to the floor. It's all stapled with heavy duty staples and it looks gorgeous. There's NO echo, and the room looks fly. Just thought I'd share. This problem was bugging me, and I didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars for sound dampening foam, or have ugly foam squares all over my walls. It worked like a charm, and at a buck fifty, I solved a thousand dollar problem.

Peace!
I did something similar, sort of. I made frames with 2x2's and covered them with burlap and have sound board mounted behind the burlap. I have made metal plates with pins in them that hold all the sections together. They are 3 ft. wide and 7.5 feet high and use them on the walls or can set up booths for specific instruments.
These ideas for recording the low budget way is great. Thanks for these ideas guys!