or
Create an account

or

Thread Realtek AC97 for recording (Yes, I know it's bad)

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Realtek AC97 for recording (Yes, I know it's bad)
Hi guys,

I am planning on buying the Line 6 GuitarPort pretty soon, so I can play guitar on my computer, and so I can record with Audacity. I am new at recording, never done it before.
My PC specs are not bad:

AMD Athlon64 3800+ at 2.4GHZ
1 GB RAM
Windows XP SP2
160GB hardrive
logitech x-230 2.1 speakers

The worst thing is my soundcard. It's just an onboard realtek AC97 card on an Abit motherboard. Yes, I know it's bad, I've looked around a bit, heard really bad reviews. The problem is I am totally broke right now (totally), especially after I buy Guitarport. There's no way I can afford even a cheap sound card right now, but I probably could in a couple months.
I already know about the good cards out there, all I need to know is about the realtek.
To anyone who has used the realtek ac97 for home recording, can I at least get decent quality recordings with guitarport+audacity? I'm not looking for professional quality, but I was wondering how well the realtek card will do for recording. BTW, I've never had any lagging, static or audio problems on my pc (programs like reason, fl studio work flawlessly).
Thanks.
You can already record your guitar direct with the Guitarport, what will you need the realtek for? Vocals?

Well, for just a few $$$ more (approx. $26), you could have gotten the Toneport UX1 which has guitar/bass, a mic input, and stereo line level inputs negating the need to use the realtek or to even buy a new soundcard.
I'll only use guitarport for guitar, not vocals or bass. The toneport looks good, but not for what I need.
If I record my guitar with guitarport (without the extra riffworks program), does it record through my soundcard, or guitarport? I asked, because I thought the guitarport replaced the soundcard only for playback.

%1$s a écrit If I record my guitar with guitarport (without the extra riffworks program), does it record through my soundcard, or guitarport? I asked, because I thought the guitarport replaced the soundcard only for playback.

The guitarport does both recording and playback, and should have better converters than your onboard realtek. Aside from the 1/4" jack in front for guitar, it also accepts a 1/8" jack at the back for stereo line ins. The RCA jacks are the interface's outputs. The reason I directed you to the Toneport is because you can readily connect a mic to it, unlike the guitarport which you have to supplement with a mic pre or small mixer if you should ever decide to mic something up, like a guitar amp, for example.
Thanks for all the info. This helps a lot. I didn't know that guitarport is used for recording, I thought it was the soundcard. I think
I'll be satisfied with guitarport instead of toneport. I won't be doing anything more complicated that I'd need the toneport, so I'll just stick with gport.
Thanks again, KitC :D