or
Create an account

or

Thread Pre-Mastering Mastering, good or bad?

• 3 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Pre-Mastering Mastering, good or bad?
Hello all. I'm brand new to this group. I have been recording at home for a few years now. However, up until now I was not trying to record for a cd release. I am now at that point. My other band member (currently there are only two) and I jointly purchased the Alesis IO/2 external usb sound card and Cubase as the software. We are recording dry and I am quite impressed with the sound quality. Its the best I've ever sounded recorded. So far we've managed to complete one song. (Well almost complete. We programmed the drums and plan to call in a drummer to do some real stuff). We plan to record everthing dry and perhaps involve an experienced person for the mastering stage once everything is recorded and mixed. But the burning questions is: Should we do any mastering at this stage or leave it completely dry until the mix is ready to be mastered? That is, should we wet any of the tracks at this stage? We were trying to find a way to get the background vocals to site better in the mix and thought about adding some effects to accomplish this. However, I worry that this will tie our hands for acheiving a good sound post mastering. Any experience? please share.

Thanks

Danny
yeah, change the volume levels and pan your stuff etc while recording, and also add some EQ as an insert. this will allow you to get a better feel for the sound, but will be a non destructive way of editing the sound, shoudl you want to master it.
Yeah thats checked don't do destructive editing like post compression they can't remove that. :)

%1$s a écrit yeah, change the volume levels and pan your stuff etc while recording, and also add some EQ as an insert. this will allow you to get a better feel for the sound, but will be a non destructive way of editing the sound, shoudl you want to master it.

Absolutely :cool: