or
Create an account

or

Thread phantom power with dynamic mics

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 phantom power with dynamic mics
someone told me that if i used a balanced xlr cable with a dynamic mic it will work. Is this true or will it wreck my mics?
Most quality dynamic mics _are_ xlr and they are low resistance. There are some intermediate "kareoke" mics that look like they are 1/4 inch and are sort of medium resistance mics. The common dynamic mics Shure SM58 and SM57 are XLR. You shouldn't send phantom power to a dynamic mic over XLR, but I suspect that the Shures don't care. What kind of mic are you using and what kind of connector does it have?
its a sm57 with a balanced xlrm to xlrf. will it still not work with phantom power? It would save me from buying balanced trs to xlrf.

%1$s a écrit its a sm57 with a balanced xlrm to xlrf. will it still not work with phantom power? It would save me from buying balanced trs to xlrf.

The SM57 does not need phantom power, but it seems to tolerate phantom power if you accidently turn on phantom power. The SM57 works with most any high end mixer, but will looses a lot of power if you plug it into a 1/4 high impedance input. If all you have is a 1/4 inch high impedance input then you either need a balanced xlr to unbalanced 1/4 inch impedance do hickey matcher or buy an inexpensive mixer that takes XLR input and run the mixer output to the 1/4 input.