or
Create an account

or

Thread audio levels. how do you get recordings same volume as normal songs?

• 6 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 0 follower
1 audio levels. how do you get recordings same volume as normal songs?
You know how when you record a song, and export it as say... and wma file, you get the levels as high as you can in the software before you export it, but even then, the volume is a lot less than any other normal song.

is there a reason for this? can someone help me figure this out?
thanks

john
export it and compress the export. that should do it. or have higher in volumes while recording.
yea i have that same problem too if theres anyone out there that can help out in this situation i would appreciate it alot i am using a program called record producer deluxe it would help
I have the remedy, and it took me quite a while to figure it out too.

Ok, so record everything as you normally would, making sure that levels sound about right.
Now, things like drums and vocals wont really cut properly (probabaly) and the mix will be quiet. SOoooo you stick a compressor/multiband compressor on the bus1 out signal (output). This can be found on the mixer on most programs I think.
When you have applied the multiband compressor (what i find works best) and set up some of the right levels for that, youll notice a significant difference in balance of certain instruments, notably also that you can turn stuff up a lot louder than you could before, so go back and tweak it all.
This means you can bring all the vocals / quieter drums higher in the mix!
As a final touch, add another EQ onto the mixer channel to bring out demz frequencies.
:cool:
mastering mastering mastering.
commercially produced albums are not at higher volume levels than your mixes. the perceived volume is louder. you can notice an example of this when you watch tv. lets say you are watching the news and you have crancked the volume on your tv so that you can hear it well. then a commercial comes on and its like blasting you out of your seat with loudness. the commercial is not at a higher volume than the news it is just compressed more. they do this to get your attention. this higher perceived volume is caused by massive compression. this is usually done during the process of mastering. doing this with a compressor is a little complexe. so break out a limiter (which is also another type of compression) and lower the threshold untill it "sounds" louder.
Well in most recorders/workstation as well as in most wave editing sofware if you go into Dynamics there's a feature called NORMALIZATION wich brings the overall mix as close to 0db as possible. Its a form of compression. Now I prefer to do it before mastering but my friend does it after... its just that it will make things louder including the mistakes. So in my opinion its better to catch the mistakes before the final master its a question of preference.

note: Normalization on software programs will give you a good visual on how the mix looks before and after the process.

%1$s a écrit Well in most recorders/workstation as well as in most wave editing sofware if you go into Dynamics there's a feature called NORMALIZATION wich brings the overall mix as close to 0db as possible. Its a form of compression.

Normalisation is NOT a form of compression. It simply changes the level of the entire waveform (including the noise floor) usually so that the highest peak(s) reach 0dBfs or just below.

Compression and limiting actually change the waveform itself.;)