or
Create an account

or

Thread DRUMS...help

• 7 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic DRUMS...help
im gonna be recording my band in a few weeks and i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions......

1. my drummer sets up his kit really tight together (even though ive told him 1000 times not to)....so im gonna have a whole lot of bleed from the cymbals into the tom mics....
any suggestions of what mics to use to reject the cymbals and to be able to maneuver them into tight spots....i originally wanted to use 421's but god knows its impossible to get those into tight spots....and they dont do to well with bleed

2. the kick....im debating here....he doesn't have a hole in the front head....so i was either gonna take it off and lay a D112 inside and point an EV664(?) at the beater...one of my buddies said it works really well.....or....my teacher told me about this last semester....use two 414's a few feet in front of the kick aimed down towards the beater....

any other suggestions would help as well.....what do all of you use for overheads....snare top/bottom....and even individual miking of the ride and hi hats

by the way.....its a 7 piece pearl studio kit

thanks
BATI
Of course for the toms/cymbal thing, you could attach a soundscreen between the two mics e.g. a carpet tile, cheap but works ...
I'm no drum micing expert by a long shot, but the few times I've done live drums I'vehad good luck with one inside and one a few inches away from the beater. The beater is really good for helping break the kick out from the bass.

So far as the tom/cymbal bleed goes, that's a tough one. They occupy significantly different frequency bands, so maybe you could use some EQ on the the mics to help isolate the bleed.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
try cutting the LOWEST bass frequencies and the HIGHEST treble frequencies. like 0 - about 100 hz. and 15k - 20khz.
and what happens then? :) else try placing the mics with a bit more distance from the drums. usually the cymbals and/or bass kicker that makes that kind of distortion if the mic is not capable of record those frequencies made by the instrument.

%1$s a écrit try cutting the LOWEST bass frequencies and the HIGHEST treble frequencies. like 0 - about 100 hz. and 15k - 20khz.
and what happens then? :) else try placing the mics with a bit more distance from the drums. usually the cymbals and/or bass kicker that makes that kind of distortion if the mic is not capable of record those frequencies made by the instrument.

are you saying to do that for the toms??? and wouldnt i get more bleed with more distance?

thanks
BATI
oh. sorry. the toms. right. i'm lost. :P
erm. yeh. try get more distance.
i'm not really into the TOMS :D
sorry.
which drums are you suggesting i do this on....sorry im a little lost.....
i dunno what you are talking about.....i understand what you are saying with more distance i'll get more room and the drums will sound more live.....but to what are u suggesting that i do this with

BATI
www.silver-dragon-records.com/recording_drums.htm. I'm just about to record real drums for the first time so Here's some useful info I found along the way.