or
Create an account

or

Thread recording voices: how to avoid 'pops' and strange noise?

• 5 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 recording voices: how to avoid 'pops' and strange noise?
hi!

is there anything special i should do recording voice??

i'm using a shure microphone, i think it's not bad, but i think i'm going to have problems if the singer does something strange. what can i do to avoid 'pops' and strange noises?
Paco-

Depending on what Shure you have, you should be able to get an ok sound out of it. Not the best, but ok. You just have to play with it.

To avoid sonic weirdness from your singer-

Don't let them hold the mic.
Get a Pop filter.
Encourage them to practice good mic technique.

Beat them when they spit in your microphone. :lol:
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
As Axeman said, you have to build a pop filter ;-)

But The best thing should be to buy a new mic, you will be really surprised!!

Last thing, do you compress the signal? I you don't, you'd better do ;-)
Do whatever it takes to get the best performance. I've had singers singing into a hand-held SM-58 in the control room with monitors blaring. This is what it took to get the best performance. This is what it took for the singer to get inspired. Sure there was some leakage into the mic from the studio monitors, but it was not a big deal compared to the awesome performance that was captured. Two takes and it was done.

Holding a mic may not work for everyone, but it's worth a try. With a little good technique, handling noise would be kept well below audible if your mix allows it.

Obviously, you won't want to be holding a condensor mic. Use a stand for it if this is what will best do the job. If you really need to hold a mic, then do so without plugging one in.

Pop filters are great to have and will protect your mic capsule from the "elements" (singer's saliva, boogers, plosives, etc...).

Make your environment comfortable... dim lighting, candles, whatever.
thanx for all your help!!

can you tell me anything about pop filters?? is there any specially good?

Quote: thanx for all your help!!

can you tell me anything about pop filters?? is there any specially good?

The "nylon" ones like this are good, but tend to attenuate your high-end, which can be a good thing on sibilant vocals.

I use and highly recommend the Stedman pop-filters. They are made of a special metal grading that actually re-direct plosives- nothing can get through to your mic. Plus, they're very easy to clean- just wipe it down. And they will last much longer than the nylon ones. They cost more money, but are well worth it, IMO. I don' tuse my nylon screens any more and have six Stedmans.