or
Create an account

or

Thread live recording

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 live recording
hey...i was asked to record a battle of the bands. i was trying to figure out what the best way for me to do this is. i was planning on just running two (l,r) RCA phono wires from the mixer to my multitrack recoder via a RCA to 1/4 converter. please tell me if this is a good way to do it...if not what should i do??????
It's the simplest way do do that... but perhaps not the best ;-)

It depends if all the instruments are "miced" and mixed on the same mixer? For exemple, most of the time, the drums are not totaly miced and a part of the sound directly come from the drum and not from the speaker. If this is the cas, I suggest you record the output of the mixer AND you take one or two mic for the "ambiance".
i always found that just taking some signals off of a couple of condensers placed about 15 to 20 feet away from the sound source works better than you would think. but micing the drums is probably the best way to go in either instance. how many tracks do you have to work with?
i dont really have specifics yet, but yeah i would only use the outs of the mixer if all instruments are miced..i prolly will use 1 or 2 ambient mics for instruments that may not me miced (or DI'd) and to capturew the audience...i only have one condensor mic though...do you think a couple of dynamic mics would work ok? im prolly try and combine the two...anyway thanks for all your help...!

%1$s a écrit i dont really have specifics yet, but yeah i would only use the outs of the mixer if all instruments are miced..i prolly will use 1 or 2 ambient mics for instruments that may not me miced (or DI'd) and to capturew the audience...i only have one condensor mic though...do you think a couple of dynamic mics would work ok? im prolly try and combine the two...anyway thanks for all your help...!

Dynamic mics are not the best for recording room/venue ambience; condensors are more sensitive to this task. However, you could use your single mono mic set in bidirectional mode Check out the following article's sections on bi-directional mics and the section "IV-Typical placement". Also make sure that the feed you get off of the board is a balanced mix if bounced down to stereo. If it's individual subgroups or individual channels going to your multitrack via a direct output from the mixer's individual channels than just make sure you have good levels to work with later. The placement of your room mic will be crucial to what kind of room ambience you desire in your live FOH or House mic tracks whether multiple or single. If you feel limited by your mic choices and are not sure whether your dynamic mics are up to snuff, place them at a wide stereo width in the house, but close to the stage above the audience if possible, with your mono condensor in the middle, preferably set to bi-directional and oriented at 180 degrees to the stage to capture left and right in a mono sum.
Of course your multitrack is going to be a limiting factor here (will you have enough channels for the board feed plus the mics you set in the house?). Another option is Mid-Side recording where you pair a Condensor with a dynamic, but preferable a bi-directional condensor and a cardioid condensor arranged in the following configuration, however, you will need an MS Decoder. Check out the following mic guide from Groove Tubes:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.midiman.de/files/pdf/Record_Now_Mic.pdf&e=10384