or
Create an account

or

Thread How much reverb is too much?

• 7 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 How much reverb is too much?
I'm getting ready to record my rock-ensemble, and I have only been using reverb on the vocals. The acoustic has a chorus-verb pedal, and the electric has a nice reverb for clean stuff. I'm worried that I'll muddy up the mix if everyone has reverb on their instruments, so what should I do? It's a Christian light rock album.
What I suggest when you record and mix an acoustic group, is to choose between:

- you have a good accoustic room for recording, and you record with "omni" mics to take the ambiance. Then for the mix, don't add anything!!

- you record "dry" for all your instrument (no reverb on the guitar amp, no Fx on the synth), and you create a general reverb for the mix, and just adjust send effect for each track. This is the only way to have a natural general sound!
The theory is sound! Thank you very much. Also, when micing by acoustic, where should I place the microphones? Thanks Krowms.
Mic position for vocals? We have two topics that should help you:

http://www.studioathome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185
http://www.studioathome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83&sid=af6681e3259a9a09ef674c2093f09158

We are working on a complete article with pictures ans sounds... available in 1 or 2 weeks ;-)
Try a single-repeat delay subtly in the backround (250-450 ms) with a slightly attenuated low end to thicken up the vocals - this method is a favorite of Geddy Lee of Rush (Their latest album "Vapor Trails" has some wicked vocal layering).
As far as a reverb on a send for the whole mix - one method I find useful is to think of reverb as a "how far away it is from my ears" type of tool. The greater the wet/dry ratio is (toward wet) the farther away the image will be perceived from the listener. Approach your mix this way.
If all your tracks are dry and sent to the same reverb, the psycho-acoustic illusion will be that of all the sources being equidistant from the listener with identical acoustic characteristics. Panning will only move the images in a fixed-radius arc around the listener. Instead, reverb the tracks independently based on where you would "map" them. Be frugal with the ratio and feedback if you will also be using a send reverb on the whole mix.
Once you have your tracks "placed" in this fashion, use a master send reverb to subtly create the "room" these distances are perceived in.
Please remember - it's your mix. If your arrangement isn't TEXTBOOK, but you are truly satisfied with the results, you're done.
Hope this helps...
Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Most people don't know how to effectivley use processed effects, such as reverbs and delays, because they don't have a good reference of the real thing.

One thing that I suggest for really learning to use reverbs... is spending time in an environment that produces natural reverb and delays.

May sound silly, but find a large space, apartment hallway, cathedral....whatever-- and spend time listening to a vocalist, or player. Get your ears and brain adjusted to how real sound reverberates in a real environment.

Then you'll have more of a specific goal to reach, when using processed reverbs and delays.
here's a pretty general link to your question about how to mic an acoustic http://www.harmony-central.com/Features/FRecAcousticGtr/