or
Create an account

or

Thread Piano Recording

• 6 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Piano Recording
Whats the best way to record a piano? Should I use a nice eletric piano and just plug it in, or should I mic a grand. (My mics are gonna be pretty average.)
My personal opinion is that you should mic the grand piano. To me it sounds more natural than an electronic keyboard. What kind of mics do you have?
I can't recall the brand right off. I'm at music school and the mics are at home. They're just some average mics that i picked up on sale for about thirty dollars apiece. Boss maybe. That sounds right.
If your mics are really "average", you might want to try an electronic keyboard.
Getting the best piano sound (for your tastes) takes patience; time.
Be creative... move your mics around, try different locations around and in the piano. Heck, even mic'ing the bottom of the soundboard may get you desired results.

The key is experimentation. In the end, your mics just may be the weak point. Go and rent a nice pair or mics and pre-amps, if you possibly can. The expense may be well worth it.
Thats sounds good Bowisc. If there's one thing i do have its time for experimentation. By the way...have you ever actually tried micing the bottom of the soundboard? What does it sound like?

Quote: By the way...have you ever actually tried micing the bottom of the soundboard? What does it sound like?

Yes, and I've gotten a very full, well-rounded sound for some applications (along with other mics for balance)... of course this also depended on the room, gear, and material I was working on.