or
Create an account

or

Thread NEED HELP WITH SEPARATION! VOCALS ARE GETTING LOST IN THE INSTRUMENTAL

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 NEED HELP WITH SEPARATION! VOCALS ARE GETTING LOST IN THE INSTRUMENTAL
I need someone to outline how to separate instruments from vocals... and in that case, how to separate background vocals from lead vocals. Right now, I record all tracks in stereo, and then I try to pan stuff out so that nothing is in the center. Piano is on the left (say 30%), drums are a little to the right (%20), bass and organ and any other instruments are done the same way... and then the background vocals are done the same. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing. When it's all done, it sounds all mushy and there's no quality separation from one instrument to the next, and really none in the vocals either.

Are there some basic fundimentals to setting 'pan' perameters to give my stuff a more proffessional mix sound?

Should I not be recording every track in stereo?? Right now, I sequence everything first (on a separate sequencer program) and I use the pans and stuff to get the instrumental the way I want it, and then I record it into Vegas Pro (Acid) in stereo. Then I double the tracks and ofset them a little to get a 'thicker' sound, but really I think that's a trashy way of doing it.

Is there anyone that can break down how to use pan and separation to get the sound I'm looking for?
here is an interesting article:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/perfect_mix.html

it should give you some very usefull tips on mixing.
EZ,

I think you're ontrack for what you're trying to accomplish, but by panning almost everything, you may be missing the boat.
Try leaving the drums (except for fills and cymbals) and main bass line dead center. I often record a main (melodic) bass line then come back and record a second bass track with a little fancier line with runs and fills, etc. I then will pan the second bass track either left or right about 40% so it stands out from the other.
Also, when doubling tracks like you mention or recording two tracks like I do, you really want to eq them differently too so the frequencies stand out in the mix and don't cancel each other out. On guitar and bass I also like to use different instruments if possible because they just sound different and I have to EQ less. Hope this helps.