or
Create an account

or

Thread Need some guidance on recording a 6-part close harmony a capella group.

• 5 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Need some guidance on recording a 6-part close harmony a capella group.
Hello all!

I've been offered some work after a recommendation from a previous client (www.myspace.com/austengrey - a very talented friend of mine, first two tracks produced by me) which entails recording a six part a capella group. Does anyone have any experience or could give me any pointers with how to go around this i.e. record each vocal separately, all together, what will work for the mix etc.

Microphones at my disposal are a shure SM7, matched pair of Neumann KM184s, Shure SM 81, SM 57s, 58s and a beta 57. Pre is a audient asp008 running into PT LE.

Any tips would be hugely appreciated so thanks in advance!
Will you be recording them live or in a studio. If you're doing it in the studio can you isolate all the singers?
Couldn't really isolate them to be honest so I'd have to record each vocal separately. I'm leaning towards setting my KM184s in an X-Y pattern a few metres in front of the choir. Anyone who could comment on that? Thanks so much
Hi there,

First of all, I really wouldn't want to isolate them. You want to be able to capture the harmonics and ring tones as their voices interact in the room. It's the interaction of the voices with each other and with the room that give this type of music such charm.

I really prefer a large diaphragm for a capella vocals - say a pair of C414's set for figure-8 and in a Blumlein configuration or set omni in an A-B configuration.

With what you've got, though, I'd probably go with the KM184 in an ORTF configuration. You can think of this as the opposite of an XY config: tails together, heads at 110 degrees and 17cm apart. Another possibility I would probably try with what you have would be something based on a decca tree. Use the two KM184's for the outside and the SM81 in the middle. The Nuemann's would be about 3' apart with the '81 filling in the hole in the middle. Normally, this setup is done with omni's, but since you haven't got them, you work with what's available.

Of course you're recording everything to its own track.

Using small diaphragms you'll probably have to compensate for lost lows with EQ. You won't get at much room ambiance as you'll probably want, so you'll likely want a bit of room or plate reverb applied *gently*. Whether you process it in realtime or in post, just make sure that you send the reverb signal of the vocal tracks to its own channel. You want a 100% wet channel of just the reverb so you can then mix down the primary vocals and add the effects to taste. (Yes, I know... processors are fast and there's an undo... but I still like it this way. More control.)

Finally, you'll want to listen to them rehearse a bit. Notice you they stand and how the listen to and sing off of each other. You that to guide your setup.

Hope this helps.

Raul
As raul said, ORTF, Decca Tree or (even AB, but AB with cardios may not do very well) stereo configuration will give you a more natural stereo image and sound than XY in thise case.
Hi guys, I thought this thread was completely dead but thanks very much for your input. That all sounds really good and I'm looking forward to trying out your suggestions.

Yes, I had planned on using a plate reverb for that extra lushness. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

Alex