or
Create an account

or

Thread Basic vocal micing q

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Basic vocal micing q
Hi, reasonably simple question which requires a simple answer...i hope.

I am running an SM-58 into a Motu Ultralite which is connected by firewire to my G4. I am recording spoken vocals into bias peak and only require a dry signal as all the effects will be applied after recording.

My problem is that the levels i am getting are very low, even with the trim on the channel set at +24dB it barely tickles the signal meter. I know i don't need phantom power on the channel since it's a dynamic mic. Apparently the pad switch on the Motu can add up to an extra 36dB to the signal but this isn't having any effect.

At the moment i have the shure connected via TRS into the combo jack input but would the lower impedance of an XLR connector make any difference?

Do i need to pay close attention to the bit depth, sampling rate and clock source settings? What about balanced/unbalanced (clear that up?) there is only one insulating ring on the TRS connector so does that mean it is a mono jack. is this XLR to TRS cable even a suitable microphone cable...

I'm sure there are some obvious solutions but any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
tim
Hmmmm, normally that's what preamps are for, to boost your level, amongst other things.

also, i have a silly question: are you sure the mic works? :oops: have you tried it with other stuff?
The mic works perfectly through other mixers.

i'm off to buy an xlr-xlr cable and will give that a go
The xlr - xlr cable got me the extra signal i needed.

apparently the jacks are for guitar signals not microphones
Yes, exactly!

And just for you to know, the "Pad" switch only lowers the gain trim( for use with very sensitive microphones on loud sources), it does not add any gain.