or
Create an account

or

Thread ideal monitors for small home studio

• 9 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 5 followers
1 ideal monitors for small home studio
I'm still just getting the hang of audio engineering and am looking to get a set of legitimate monitors. The problem is the layout and size of my room:
xn92Z7y.png

I was considering Yamaha HS8s because they look quite accurate and reliable given their price range. I focus on producing electronic music so being able to accurately monitor the low end is crucial. Would these monitors be too big for my room? Should I go 5-6" instead?

Until now I've been using ATM-M50 headphones which obviously aren't ideal for mixing, so any advice would be immensely appreciated. Also, if anyone has suggestions on the optimal desk placement and any dyi audio tretment options for my room that would be great!
the yamahas are a great choice. either that or (if you can) some equator D8s or D5s. Regarding your room's layout, the desk is properly placed, just make sure your speakers are at ear height while in a seated position.

i would also look into isolator pads under the monitors, along with desk stands, and maybe even fiberglass panel(s) to improve the accuracy of your listening space.
If you can find a way to make them fit comfortably, monitors with 8" drivers are important for you since you're doing electronic music, where the bottom end is so critical. If you use smaller monitors, you won't be able to hear as much what's going on in the low frequencies, putting you at a disadvantage. A space-saving option to consider is a 2.1 monitor system featuring satellites with smaller drivers and a subwoofer (which you might be able to place under the desk). Blue Sky and Roland offer affordable 2.1 systems, and if you can spring for the (significantly) extra $$, Focal and Genelec are excellent choices. Perhaps someone out there who owns a 2.1 setup can make a suggestion for such a system that they use and like.
The Yamaha HS8s are great bang for your buck if that's your price ceiling. If you can increase it, Mike's advice is great, but if you can't increase your budget, you certainly can't go wrong there.

One thing that you may or may not have overlooked is investing in a few sound panels and paying attention to exactly where you place your monitors! The London 8 Kit seems ideal for your room given the specs.

Back to room placement: if you think stationary waves (when there's a particular bass note that resonates abnormally loud due to the physical length of your room matching the length of one full wave cycle) are an apparent problem, consider changing your desk layout. You can either change the layout to match that on the London 8 Kit example provided above. Or you can consider placing your desk diagonally in a corner and having the speakers face the opposite corner where your closet is located. This will change your sound propagation and could potentially drastically improve your sound for free (minus a little elbow grease :lol:)
Hi,
Sorry for the pm i thought this topic was older and did not wanted to bump it.

I wouldn't place the desk that way but i would place it in the corner because that way you will have the same amount space between the side walls and your speakers.
I'm affraid the way your desk is standing will messup the stereo image.

Dampen the two sides for early reflexions and place a cloud over your head
( if you hang the cloud in an angle it will become a broadband absorber.

image.php

You have to keep in mind that a square room is never good ( the same standing waves between left/right and front/rear.
You can calculate which frequencies are goning to give you some problems

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 10/13/2014 at 05:16:28 ]

Thanks, that would be much appreciated!

I've decided to go with the Yamaha HS8, but the acoustics of my small room are still a work in progress. Thanks everyone for the advice

[ Post last edited on 10/13/2014 at 05:13:57 ]

Thanks to all for posting such helpful and detailed advice for quicksandmagic. Way to go, Audiofanzine community! :bravo:

[ Post last edited on 10/13/2014 at 10:26:56 ]

We are designing some panels for a very small room.
In time we will upload some drawings / images so that every body can comment on them or get some ideas from them.

Quote from angelie:
I wouldn't place the desk that way but i would place it in the corner because that way you will have the same amount space between the side walls and your speakers.
I'm affraid the way your desk is standing will messup the stereo image.

Dampen the two sides for early reflexions and place a cloud over your head
( if you hang the cloud in an angle it will become a broadband absorber.

image.php

You have to keep in mind that a square room is never good ( the same standing waves between left/right and front/rear.
You can calculate which frequencies are goning to give you some problems

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll try that second setup for now (though my desk is bigger than depicted, so there's barely any room to breathe :-D). My concern is that the closet will adversely affect the acoustics, since there's no sliding door or anything like that so sound might reverberate from within?

Anyway I'm still getting the hang of this so I'm sure it won't be too bad of a start. Thanks :bravo:
no problem but a small tip i will give you.

When it comes to sound in a small room, big speakers are never good. The same thing for huge desks or mixing consoles. ( not good)

Sound will hit the desk or console and will be changed. icon_facepalm.gif

[ Post last edited on 10/18/2014 at 23:56:05 ]