Spawn-X 08/07/2008

Ibanez RG1520G : Spawn-X's user review

NOTICE original post on 20/05/2007 at 01:46
Update date visible in the header of this post.

<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- In which country was it made? (United States, Japan, Mexico, France ...)</span> Japan, in factories as 80% CORT guitars IBANEZ ;) ... And yes, z&#39;avez perhaps never noticed, but there is no factory stamped IBANEZ ;) ...
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- How many frets, what kind of micro as well as their configuration?</span> -24 Cases
Jumbo-Frets
Micro-V7 (Neck) and V8 (Bridge) a few shorts in attack, but friendly enough.
-Road by a 5-way switch:
1 Pos. Humbucker in the neck
2 Pos. the two parallel coils of neck
3 Pos. the two humbuckers in parallel (Miam!!)
4 Pos. both mic and parallel splits
5 Pos. Humbucker in the bridge
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- What type of bridge (Floyd, Wilkinson ...)?</span>
Double Edge Pro for Roland ® GK with integrated Piezo bridge and each connected to a Roland GK pickup is built into the guitar! That is the peculiarity of the model 1520 which is designed to work directly with a MIDI device or requiring the use of this type of sensor.
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- What are the settings (volume, tone, micro switch ...)?</span>
VOLUME 1
1 TONE
A 5-way switch
1 knob ASSIGNABLE GK (depending on the machine connected to the guitar, it can be used to manage the volume of the synthesizer, modulation, or whatever you want)
SWITCH POSITIONS 1 3 MIX (used to select the source from one electric guitar, GUITAR + SYNTH, or synthetic only)
1 POSITION SWITCH 3 ON / OFF / spring. It&#39;s actually a push to replace the two mini-buttons named S1 and S2 found on pickup and are intended to scroll default sound banks.
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- What type of race?</span>
WIZARD is a sandwich of three pieces lengthwise. Very nice, but really, I can not understand why Ibanez continues to appoint its curves sleeves because I own several guitars of the brand, and among those supposed to be equipped with a handle WIZARD, which I have no m ^ m has the profile. Do not get it ...

I put only 9 this section of the opinion, as well as this guitar is already very well equipped, it is unfortunate Ibanez did not make an extra mile by adding a push-pull or a stereo jack that would giving the user the option to use Piezo for electro-acoustic sounds. It&#39;s not very serious, of course, but I wish I had that kind of sounds in addition to all those already offered by the use of a MIDI guitar as my AXON AX100 MKII.

<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- The handle is it fun?</span>
Yes, totally. I have a JEM 7DBK whose handle is narrower and longer than the Minch 1520, and I confess to prefer (small hands inside), but I must admit I did not take long to get used to profile the WIZARD of 1520. I really like.
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- Access to acute (recent freight) is it easy?</span>
The question does not m ^ m. It&#39;s an RG, so access to acute is exemplary. It is better, for sure, but should not be allowed to grow hair in the hands huh ... No problem to access the 24 cases.
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- Ergonomics is it good (in terms of shape, weight ...)?</span>
M ^ m response. The RG is very balanced. This is a "superstrate" So, it benefits from the advantages of his rank. However, it is a bit heavier than my other guitars. But m ^ m time, I am not a reference because I usually light enough guitars: Washburn N2, IBANEZ JEM 7D, RGXA2 YAMAHA.
That said, when it is m ^ m heavier than my old B & W. Petrucci JPM100 So ...
Probably due to the presence of the GK system in the body of the guitar and the Double-Edge vibrato that seems a bit heavier than the Low Pro Edge and other newer models (Edge Pro III, etc. ...).
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- Gets it easy to sound good? ...</span>
As for the GK part, we do not talk obviously not to the extent that it depends on the machine to which it connects 1520. We can just mention the fact that the GK system is royally served by the introduction of piezo sensors directly into the bridges that greatly improves the quality of tracking compared to traditional GK to install on a standard guitar.
But in terms of pure electrical part, no problem notorious.
This is, again, an RG of all that is standard in most settings and controls. You just have the right Fingers go well ;) ...

<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- they are suitable to your style of music?</span>
One can fool this issue. Z&#39;en you know many people who buy a guitar that does not fit their needs? ;) ...
Well, joking aside. I am a guitar player a little "experimenter" and my poor command of the keyboard logically led me to a guitar + Converto noon. And, I&#39;m having!
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- With what (s) amplifier (s) or effect (s) do you play?</span>
Uh ... Might be better take a look at my profile, passque it might be a bit long ...
But for large online: Boss GT-Pro Rocktron Piranha + + Micro Modular Clavia.
It&#39;s really for the outline, because in fact, my system is included in a 20U rack packed flush with the face. ;) ...
[Updated from 08/08/08 (Uh, yes, it can not be invented as the date ...): My system has changed since the filing of the notice. I went on an AXE-FX Ultra, and I sold off a large part of my pedals and rack effects. My Micro Modular has been replaced by a Nord Modular G2 Engine I just with the driver of the GK AX100MKII through 1520.]
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- What kind of sound you get and with what settings ("crystalline", "bold ",....)?</span>
A little every style of his actually. From warm to stratabound without going to extremes because the microphones are V7 and V8 of all m ^ m a bit tight. They are friendly enough, but they lack a bit of resentment for my taste. I might change later to a pair of DiMarzio. But hey, there&#39;s no urgency. It&#39;s not disastrous either. On the contrary. Rather, it is correct. In any case, no microphones or Feedback unwanted and uncontrollable. So it is moving. For identification, for sure we will have to change the set, but ...
[Updated from 08/08/08: Finally, more than a year after the notice, I am more than satisfied with these pickups. You should know Ibanez does not make his microphone but subcontracts with DiMarzio. At least what I learned in regard to V7 and 8 fitted to the 1520. Moreover, on many current models, Ibanez communicates differently now since the word "DiMarzio ® IBZ" is now linked to Luxury models equipped with micro IBZx which shows Ibanez this time clearly shows some form of partnership by making by DiMarzio pickups in their specifications Ibanez.
That said, I realized that the term emotional plays a lot on how we perceive the sound of these microphones. Comparing two very similar or identical guitars with the only difference between the micro stamped with a brand or another, we realize that the IBZ and Vx are ultimately real DiMarzio. You just have the courage to admit that they are not models at a discount and take the time to play them to assimilate them as such. They sound really quite good.]
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- What are the sounds you prefer, you hate?</span>
I love the central position. The two microphones are placed in parallel, each humbucker mode. The resulting sound is very nice. Full-time ventilation.
The bass sounds a lot too. With a fairly bluesy side.
The intermediate position is perfect for serious plans funk. Especially since in this case, the parallel involves two coils only serious micro instead of a coil of each pickup, as is often the case on the guitar to two double-coil.
The sharp sounds good, but nothing special, for the intermediate position acutely, I did not find anything very interesting. M ^ m time, I use only very rarely that position, regardless of the guitar played. So ...

However, one thing bothers me a bit and I have not found an explanation.
I talk about in this topic ( https://fr.forums.audiofanzine.com/apprendre/mailing_forums/index%2Cidtopic%2C263368%2Cpage%2C1.html#4102410 ) , so to avoid re-explain everything, throw it a look. ;)

9 only because of this problem.

<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- How long have you use it?</span>
3 weeks. Yes, it may seem, but I am guitar teacher and I teach at a rate of 35 hours per week. So I had time to test and taste. So I feel comfortable enough to rate a business consisting ;) ...
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- What is so special that you like most and least?</span> Most is of course for which it is sold: GK INTEGRATED SYSTEM!
More importantly, the fact that GK is integrated in the form of a piezo-type vibrato Low Pro Edge. Indeed, with this kind of vibrato, the use of a conventional GK is almost impossible. This poses many problems indeed related to the fact that the distance between the strings and the sensor must be as constant as possible to optimize the tracking. Using this kind of integration, the problem disappears.
The least, well, the pickups a little cheap, and the problem of loss of volume due to the source selector. But hey, nothing serious.
[UPDATE 08/08/08: Finally, this microphone is very acute the job. It is just a little too low for metallic rhythm but m ^ m time, a guitar with GK, I&#39;m not sure that the metal are particularly fond. ;) ...]

<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- Have you tried many other models before buying it?</span> I endorse IBANEZ, therefore, for the pure guitar part, I know. However, with respect to the MIDI part, I used a long strato equipped with a conventional GK. It changes lives.
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- How would you rate the quality / price?</span>
Here based on retail price, I find it very well. I have obviously not paid that price, since I am in agreement with the brand. But the "normal" price, it seems to me very well given the presence of GK, and most importantly, the system integrated piezo type locking tremolo floyd.
<p class="bbcode-cite"> Quote: <span>- With experience, you do again this choice? ...</span> For now, I have no regrets, for sure.