Ibanez SC420
Ibanez SC420

STC-Shaped Guitar from Ibanez belonging to the SC/SCA series.

MGR/Fitch MGR/Fitch

« Ibanez SC420 »

Publié le 06/21/04 à 15:00
My baby was purchased through a musicain's network, used, for $400 even.

This is a hard rock guitar, no qualms about it. The five way selector switch is great, but when you flip it down, stomp on a distortion or metal pedal (might I recommend running it through an SM7?), you'll get the hard rock bite you're looking for. I've been playing mine for four years now. It's the older SC420 in black with a mahogony line around it and amber tuning pegs. I find it works best for rhythm work, but if you're about riffing and rocking, it gives you a clean, articulate, and piercing Ibanez rock bite.

I find that the gain of the guitar can be a bit lacking on occasion, but I believe that's more due to age and the need of new/resprung pickups than anything else. On my particular guitar, the 19th fret on the B string is dead, sounding a half-step lower than it should, but I've only experienced that on my guitar, never any other SC420s I've played (I've played two others). I also don't like that I know that John Petrucci played this guitar once, because it makes me realize the guitar will never sound that good again, because I suck, and he's great.

Rock solid. It's been dropped twice and didn't even go out of tune. The neck is thin but REALLY durable. After several years of abuse (like I said, I play heavy rock!), the only marking on it is on the back where a belt buckle of mine scratched it a few times. Otherwise, it's awesome.

I love my baby. If you're looking for something that's going to cut through and give you a solid rock sound, you can't go wrong with the SC420. I applaud Ibanez for making such a great axe.