or
Create an account

or

Thread Gain structure?

• 4 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Gain structure?
overrated?-underrated?-I personally think gain structure is very important.With pre-amps,mixers,processors and digital or analog recorders all having some kind of gain. 8)
If your gains aren't staged correctly and your impedences matched, you will not get a good recording. Period. :shock:
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I agree with the axeman, it's all about tuning mainly.
And doing more with less, so when you turn the knob .............
Gentle and easy.
chris pax
Gain structure is very important. If you are running a -10dbv effect and your board is set up for +4 you get an overdriven signal into the effect and a weak and noisey signal back into the board.

I've actually had boards that had bad gain structures internally. Back in the 60's Altec made a little 6 channel mixer for bands that seemed to distort no matter what I did. Then my old Kelsey had lots of mix buss noise so you had to run the channels hot and the groups hot and the main output low. PITA

I use Allen & Heath mixers now and all that nightmare is gone.

I also hotrodded my guitar effects units outputs and padded their inputs so they will work with a mixer. I suppose one of the Ebtech units would work there without the mods.

I also have an old FBX 901 and setting the gain knob is a pain. The unit doesn't have enough dynamic range so I have to ride it constantly. When the groups get loud cut the gain to kill the distortion, when the music stops go back the other way to get rid of the noise. And in between the muting circuit chops up the vocals. ARRRGGG!

Quote: When the groups get loud cut the gain to kill the distortion, when the music stops go back the other way to get rid of the noise. And in between the muting circuit chops up the vocals. ARRRGGG!

that my friend is the worst feeling in the world, i feel your pain :cry:

hehehh