Create an account

or

Thread 64 Bit CPU / Motherboard and the DAW

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 64 Bit CPU / Motherboard and the DAW
Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I've been in on a forum chat so I thought it appropriate to re-introduce myself. My name is Joe and I record mostly acoustic music using an Athlon XP 32 bit PC with a MOTH mkII firewire.

I will be beginning a new thread in the COMPUTERS forum in regards to my pending upgrade. I'm in need of an upgrade on motherboard, processor and RAM. Currently I'm held up with a decision to go Athlon 64, Athlon (more robust 32) or P4 HT. Will be looking for advise as well as passing along my experience to those who may be interested in the results.

Ciao

JAC "Joe"
I think that once Windows 64bit is released, that the music studio software will go to 64bit very rapidly. It would stand to benefit better than anything (save possibly video editing) with the additional registers, memory support, and bitness.

I believe that Cubase 64bit has already been announced, with a dual 32 and 64bit release.

http://emusician.com/emusician_xtra/steinberg_cubase_sx3/

So, basically, what I'm saying, is that I'd reccommend an Athlon64 platform. Remember too, that the onboard memory controller helps with latency, even in 32bit mode.
Thank you, Rev. I was just reading similar news regarding the SX3 release which can utilize up to 4 gigs of Ram. The 64 bit technology is coming fast.

I checked with MOTU (because I use an MkII for I/O) and they had good reviews of users employing the Athlon 64 cpu. If there was a significant difference in price between the 32 or 64 bit I may go conservative knowing some of the benefit may not come for a while. In this case the price is right.

Proposed system
Asus KV8 mb with Athlon 64 3200 (1600 fsb) $ 269
2 Corsair PC3200 DDR dual channel 512 Mb $ 100 ea
currently investigating other bits.

Looking now to find some cooling that is nice and quiet. Perhaps a new thread??

Ciao
JAC
Make sure you get a socket 939 board, not a 754. The dual memory controllers on the 939 processors is very helpful.