Waves Trans-X
Waves Trans-X

Software transient shaper from Waves .

Public price: $99 incl. VAT
Hatsubai Hatsubai

« Transient adjusting utility »

Publié le 07/30/11 à 15:55
Transients are very important in music, especially in drums. Getting them right can make a mix sound extremely dynamic and realistic. Get them wrong, and it can sound very flat, almost as if a robot is playing instead of a normal human being. This plugin is a transient plugin to help modify/shape the various transients. Waves mostly advertises that this be used on drums, and I agree as that's where the most extreme transients tend to occur. The plugin has two components and has the following features: Crossover cutoff with low/mid/high adjustments, graphical control over the plugin, range, sensitivity, on/off band switches, duration, release, trim output gain adjustments and more. To use this, simply enable it on whatever buss(es) you want it to be on inside of your DAW. I never read the manual, but this should be easy enough to use without having to read a manual.

First of all, this plugin is super rock solid. I've never experienced a single hiccup or crash while using this. Considering that Waves is one of the best companies in this aspect, it's really no surprise. The plugin itself is cross platform compatible, so both Windows and OS X users alike can use this without any issues. The plugin itself also doesn't take up too much RAM, and in a world where processing power/RAM mean everything, that's a huge plus. There is one issue that I have with this, however. The plugin itself is a 32 bit plugin, but my DAW is a 64 bit DAW. That means that my DAW has to launch a special bridge application to allow me to use these plugins without having to lower my RAM limit. It's a minor inconvenience, but I'd still like to see Waves update these plugins in the future. I've been using the Mercury bundle for the past half a year or so, and it's bee a great experience.

I've used this very successfully on drums, and it helped make everything sound more dynamic overall by giving me some more control over the different drum transients. I tend to find myself using this more on rock and 80s style metal than the death metal that I normally play simply due to how the dynamics present themselves in the genres of music. Regardless as to what genre you play, there's almost always a usage for this at some point in time, in my opinion.