Hiwatt HG50H
Hiwatt HG50H

HG50H, Tube Guitar Amp Head from Hiwatt in the High Gain series.

Audiofanzine FR 12/03/2008

Hiwatt HG50H : Audiofanzine FR's user review

(Originally written by Pucelle_Dabidjan/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
50-watt all-tube amp head. Two channels with footswitch control.

Good finish although I don't like its rough tolex covering.

(7): not a revolutionary product but it's simple and effective.

The intuitive use is surprising. The HG50 makes you want to turn every knob in all directions and you always get a good sound no matter what you do. This amp head is a creative tool. Some settings don't sound good but that was also the case with the Ultra Lead or the Budda.

Easy to use. I only miss Midi connections. The FX loop is ok. The sound is good at low output levels.

(7): good product but nothing extraordinary.

The clean sound is stunning. The product is very good at that. It doesn't sound too thin or aggressive. The sound is round without having too much lows, and with higher gain settings the amp sounds nice for blues stuff.

I don't like the crunch or distortion sounds. The low-end response is especially unpleasant. The distortion is quite round and reminds me some fuzz effects. It doesn't have the sharp high frequencies I like. I don't know what grade to give it. The sound of the instrument is faithfully reproduced. Maybe with another guitar...

It's not the sound I was looking for (I wanted a typical British sound).

This amp is a bit expensive but still within reason. The crunch/distortion sound is a matter of taste. People who like such s sound will have a robust amp head with a superb-sounding clean channel.

(4) Mmh...