Peavey Ultra Plus Head
Peavey Ultra Plus Head

Tube Guitar Amp Head from Peavey belonging to the Ultra series.

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 03/14/09 à 16:13
(Originally written by Nevercold/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
Everything has been already said about this product! I agree that the footswitch is a bit annoying (when you want to switch to an ultra distortion you get a clean sound instead because you have long feet.

Easy configuration:

- Treble, mid and bass controls on the clean channel!

- Bottom, body an edge controls for crunch and ultra!

Just turn the knobs and you'll find your sound!

The most important paragraph:

Clean: In the beginning I found the clean sound rather dull, almost as if it were damped by a pillow. But I've found a good treble/middle/bass and bright setting. I get a nice clean sound good enough for heavy metal, which is the main purpose of this head.

- Crunch: very nice sound. I personally don't play ACDC or Silver Dirt but if it were the case I'd use this channel. If you max the drive and use adequate settings, you'll even get a powerful and accurate death metal, thrash metal and hardcore sound (compared with the imprecise response of a mesa). I use this channel for rhythm parts with distortion and it's good enough to play some Through the Eyes of the Dead, Chimaira or August Burns Red (if you previously engaged the boost switch ;-).

- Ultra: It's worthy of its name! It provides a warm and punchy sound with powerful lows! The boost function adds a bit of punch to the sound but it's not necessary unless you want to have feedbacks! I use this channel only for solos. It can give you strong attacks (especially if you use the neck pickup of your guitar) and much more precision than a Mesa amp! This sound has too much lows to be used for rhythm parts.

- I've been using it for eight months.

- I upgraded the power tubes three months ago. I still use the original preamp tubes. I installed Groove 6L6 power tubes. And you can clearly hear the difference!

- Pros: sound precision and color. It's a Peavey so either you'll like it or not at all! I play a Jackson JS30 KV. If you want to play deathcore, thrash or black metal stuff with a precise sound and good palm mutes it's the perfect amp head for you!

- Cons: Very heavy (don't take it out of your rehearsal room)!

I tested a Dual Rectifier, several Marshalls, a Peavey Valveking, an Engl Fireball 60... The Dual rectifier produces too much noise and Marshall amps have not enough gain! The Engl could compete with Peavey because it has the same properties (accuracy, attacks, warmth, etc.) but provides a higher distortion and a more present sound.

I bought it secondhand and I think it was a good deal! Especially after replacing the tubes.

I would buy it again!