M-Audio Axiom 25
M-Audio Axiom 25

25-Key MIDI Keyboard from M-Audio belonging to the Axiom series.

MGR/Elle MGR/Elle

« M-Audio Axiom 25 Red Special Edition »

Published on 11/01/09 at 15:00
This is, um, red. Actually very red. Very, very red. Actually I think it's limited edition. It has 25 keys, eight trigger pads, eight rotary encoder knobs (the endless kind) and an LCD display.

I paid about $180 smackers for this unit at Music123.com. I was looking for a seperate USB Midi controller for my rig, and this hot little unit was the right price, looked good, and had the features I was looking for.

I like the look for starters. It really dresses up my rig. I also like the fact that the keys are semi-weighted which gives it a traditional feel, and the transport controls are all assignable. There are 20 memory locations as well.

There's not much to like. I'm not a big fan of the included Enigma software that can be used to manage your setups, but that's just my personal preference. I guess you can't win them all.

Seems pretty well built. It's a plastic housing, but it's solid. I mentioned the keys being weighted, and that helps to give it a solid feel while playing. All the knobs and rotary controls seem pretty well built like this thing could hold up to it's share of gigs.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. For the price, I guess it's not really a steal. Probably pretty fairly priced actually, but I liked the look and features and wasn't really interested in saving 20 or 30 bucks either way. I'd prefer to get what I want and be happy with it.