ADAM Audio A5X
ADAM Audio A5X

Active Monitor from ADAM Audio belonging to the AX series.

reXet reXet

«  A super compact tool! »

Publié le 10/27/10 à 08:49
I have long worked with KRK V4 Series II and I was very pleased (see my review above). However over the years I refined my listening ears and I reached the limits of this system whose sound was becoming too "boxy" to me. This means that its bloated feeling often found in small speakers. As soon as one descends into the lower frequencies it becomes dull and rough: hard to work with precision. We feel that the speaker cannot do better and we lose in comfort.

Given the relative smallness of my work environment I was looking for compact speakers but better ... not obvious. I was eyeing on Dynaudio BM5A when I came across these little A5X which, at least on paper, responded perfectly to my research.

If at the time I was charmed by my little KRK V4 I must say that listening to A5X convinced me to change!

The ADAM appear to be surgical in its sound reproduction, particularly at high frequencies. I was captivated by the precision to recreate the highs very clear and distinct without ever being aggressive and tiring. The notes are clearly apparent, the reverbs are accurate, etc.. it's a treat!

Given the size of the bass woofer expressed quite well on an enclosure of this size is dynamic and precise enough for most of the contexts. So obviously we feel the lack of precision in the lower spectrum, the frequencies have a tendency to "eat" them, but for me it's still good enough to work on my pop / rock in good conditions. Adding a subwoofer must be able to compensate for this weakness.

Having the bass very honest and clear highs, it seems that it digs a little the mediums that seem behind. Listening remains balanced.

I have not used them for quite some time to have a definitive opinion but for now I'm happy with my purchase. In this price range and especially in this size range I could not hope for much better. Working with these speakers is so much fun- instruments naturally come off the mix. The great strength lies in the ribbon tweeters that are doing excellent work and provide consistent accuracy.

on the other hand I think if you have the space, invest in big sisters A7X because for the price difference the bass is not a luxury.