Create an account

or

Thread USB MIDI&audio interface or soundcard and MIDI interface

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic USB MIDI&audio interface or soundcard and MIDI interface
Hey,
I need to get a MIDI interface and soundcard for my new laptop and was wondering what would be better out of the following two options:
1) A combined MIDI&audio interface, such as the M-Audio Audiophile USB (or possibly firewire, but that's a bit more pricey)
2) A soundcard and a MIDI interace separately, such as the M-Audio Transit USB or Sonica Theater and the M-Audio Midisport 2 x 4.

The second, separates option comes out slightly cheaper than the first, but I was wondering whether I should get the all in one, or the two separate pieces of hardware (which I guess I could upgrade separately if need be). The reason all my examples are M-Audio products is that these seem to be getting good comments at the moment and seem pretty cheap (my budget is low, as you can tell!).

Thanks a lot,
Ferdie
cheaper! http://www.edirol.com/products/info/um1s.html

edirol stuff seems ok i have a ua-1a works fine
Ferdie-

I run a Delta 1010 and a Midisport 4X4. I do this even though the 1010 has a midi interface. The reason I do it is because I have several pieces of outboard midi gear, and I wanted each on it's own midi port. This got to be an issue because one of the units I run doesn't have a "midi thru".

If this is not an issue for you, I'd probably go for an "all in one" solution.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD