Fender Frontman 25B
Fender Frontman 25B

Bass Guitar Combo Amp from Fender belonging to the Frontman series.

MGR/Neil White MGR/Neil White

« Fender Frontman 25B »

Published on 01/18/03 at 15:00
I bought this amp in Oman, where I work, subsequently I paid probably less than I would have in Europe and at the equivalent of $150, less than in the U.S.
Strangely enough, I was left on my own in the shop trying out guitars and not looking for an amp at all.
I've been using various practise amps for several years, but having tried this one and being told that it was the last one they had, I couldn't leave the shop without it.

The sound that this thing produces is amazing. Right through the range it belts out quality bass, it's hard to believe it's only 25 Watts. I directly compared it in the shop with an Ashdown 150W combo, albeit a low end model, but costing three times the price. The Fender had a far superior sound

Since buying this, my only criticism about the unit is that its making the ceiling tiles in my flat vibrate.

The cabinet is the standard fare PVC covered plywood box The 'show business' silvery front grille is attched with velcro, presumably so that with a "viola!" you can rip it smartly off and prove to the astounded onlookers that the mellow sound they've just heard was, indeed, produced by a mere 10 inch speaker. I like the general quality feel of the rotary switches, which have a detent on the three used to adjust the e.q.
Although of Far Eastern manufacture-this one is made in Indonesia- my general impression is one of a well-assembled cabinet with good quality hardware and a pleasing appearance-pretty standard Fender I suppose.

It's not often that I buy something which I consider to be really good value for money. This amplifier is an exception. It's portable, the features are adequate, but most important,....it rocks.
What is worth noting is that Fender produce a 25 Watt bass combo in their "Bassman" range. This shares a common amplifier and speaker with the "Frontman". With cosmetic changes this is the same thing. It just costs twice as much. Remember, just say no.